Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yes, I am a freakin idiot

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by noahrob, Jan 4, 2006.

1. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, so I took out the TH400 and got in the SM465 in without any major headache, including the pedals etc. At the same time I put in 4" Tuff Country springs in the front and an ORD shakle drop in the rear. Does the truck sit level? Of course not, I forgot that there are extended ORD greasable shackles in the front. No big deal, I just got some 3/8" thick standard length shackles and we should be in good shape, right? Except, I forgot that the stock springs accept 7/16" bolts, not 1/2", so now I need new bushings...or I could add that zero rate block in the back, but I need a new spring back bolt (no big deal) and U-Bolts.

So, after all this whinning, here is the question, and yes, I realize this is a stupid question, how bad would it be to run 7/16" bolts through the shackles with 1/2" holes in the front to avoid replacing bushings which are brand new anyway?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Not a good idea. That would clunk like crazy and probably end up shearing the bolts.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just get the zero rate and move the axle back at the same time.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Don't the bushings have a metal sleave? If so, push it out and run the 1/2" bolt.

5. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

I just did mine with the 1/2" bolts and no sleeve.

6. noahrob

Seriously? You took the metal sleeve out of the spring bushings and ran a 1/2 bolt. Doesn't that tear up the bushings somethign vicious?

Also, I am going to add the zero rates back in and flip the overload upside down to try and level out the truck.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

no, not at all, just dont over torque it. think about it, how is an .5 od sleeve any diffferant than a .5 od bolt?

8. noahrob

Good point! I guess I was stuck on the fact that the bolt would be spinning (moving slightly) against another piece of metal, the sleeve, instead of directly against the bushing. However, the more I think about it, the more I realize that the bolt should not be moving that much...

9. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

Back in the old days....my old 65 Chevy van..leaf springs front and back..no sleves in the bushings..I suspect the only reason springs come with them now is so the assembly line guys can hit them with a hammer....

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

all this so the truck sits level? yikes... put some zero rates in the rear or something.

7/16" bolts are pretty weak, I wouldn't run them if I could avoid it. Heck, people break 1/2" shackle bolts often enough that it'd be wise to carry spares. All my springs use 9/16" bolts. As soon as I make the custom upper shackle/frame mount, that will use a 9/16" bolt too. Never can have bolts to large in this app.

j