Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yes itsa another gearing and axle question but with a slight twist

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sapper, Aug 5, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

while chating with some others and YUNIT!!! i found out that my wifes truck, 02 2500 HD caint tow the 12,000 lbs i though it could because it only has the 6.0 liter and you need the 8.1 or Duramax for the 12,000, it can tow 10,300 lbs but only if the axle has 4:10 gears, both axles are 14 FFs and mine has 4"10 gears, after the Uhwaree trip in sept im going to stick 5:13s in it (yes Zakk all of your posts help make that desicion as well as SF87K5) so can the gears in my 14 go into her 14 or is it a bad idea to use used gears?? my axle was built by Boyce mayby 3 years ago so the ring and pionon should be good to go right? TIA

2. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

Yet they will swap. In 85 (ribbed) housings the pinion support is different than the earlier housings. As long as you swap the supports with the gears, no problem. After you do this, remember which suppprt is in which truk so when you order bearings, you will get the right kit the first time.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i dont that is right...
    i thought the newed 14 bolts were 11.5 inches, not 10.5
    also you would need different gears anyway i think because of the Speed sensor ring that COULD be on the 02' rig and not on yours. the spacing should be different.
    but dont quote me on that.

call up randys or another gear distributor and get the part numbers for both your K5 axle and the 02 axle.
    grant

4. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I believe the new 14 bolt axles are completely different from the old 14BFF with the removeable pinion carrier, basically sharing nothing but the name...

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Im going to Randys a call, the axles are exactlly the same looking at them, but who knows GM does like to change little things

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The axles dont look the same at all. The 11.5" 14 is a lot bigger, has a stronger centersection just by looking at it, and it doesnt have a pinion sub carrier. Plus if im not mistaken, its made by AAM.
    No It wouldn't work.