Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

YES!!! new job

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stoney126, Apr 27, 2007.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Just got hired on at a Nissan dealership in Vallejo. My first Tech job :D I bring my box in Monday and start at 730 on tuesday. Man Im soo friggin happy. It's changing oil but Fug it, it gets me a foot in the door.

Any pointers for a green tech?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congrats dood. the future is bright!

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

You will quickly figure out who knows nothing and who knows how to get stuff out the door fixed right the first time. Stay away from the know nothings. Usually there is one guy that makes the most money and is talked about behind his back. That is the guy you wanna hang out with. Usually if he isn't too much of a dick, he'll show you how to do things right.

Take every training course you can. See if they will let you apprentice under one of the lead techs. Tighten all of the drain plugs and oil filters. Get used to dickhead customers bitching because the oil level is 1 mm below the full mark. Don't keep greasy rags in your back pocket. Look for problems with the vehicles that the other techs can make money from. If they pay you by the hour, stay busy, if you are commision, see if you can change the oil for the techs while they do other things.

4. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's great bro. Congrats. Just heard something on the radio the other day that I really thought was cool. He was some sort of automotive tech or in the auto industry and mentioned that people make a decent living as a tech like yourself, however, he said that techs that get the proper and extensive training working on hybrid and electric hybrid auto are very sought after and make very good money because it is such a specialty skill that not many techs take the time and energy to learn that niche in the auto market. He was saying approx. $80K - $100K per year. Now that might be for the guys that have been around for awhile but in reality that might be the way to go in the near future as far as your training is concerned. Check it out. Could be lucrative in the near future because that's the way the auto industry is going (hybrids). Just found what he said enlightening and interesting. Good luck with your endeavors bro.:D

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

righty tighty, lefty loosey

6. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just make sure they show you the proper procedure for removing the piston return spring and the install of the muffler bearings so you don't look like a total noob to everyone. :D

7. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

I knew I was doing something wrong :D

8. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Well I hear proper headlight fluid is a bit tricky to figure out.

9. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

like they said drainplugs, filters, dont double gasket, lug nuts tight...

we had a trans tech who was a lifer at the shop making 6 figures...
    i left and was on my way to making 60k a year at 20 years old, you can make good money as a tech, just keep your head down and stay busy...

flat rate is a great money maker and so many people complain about it because they can't hang with the techs who can beat the book...

good luck and congrats!!

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Flat Rate can really kick ass, when everything comes together. I was doing great at the Mitsu dealer, almost 50 hours a week(my first year at my first tech job). Then my service writer quit, and suddenly my hours cut in half. No one to give me work, no one pulling in Mitsubishis(I was the lead Mitsu tech when I left, and didn't know Fords well). I had to leave, things were just getting worse from there, especially since I gave management a few reasons to hate me.

Figure out who the best techs are, and make friends. I learned most of what I know, not from the year of schooling at Wyotech, but from the better techs in our shop. I just hung out around them when I had nothing to do, and asked questions. I just kept asking questions, annoyed some, but learned a lot.

11. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

I plan on busting my butt. It's only oil changes and tire rotation but I figure a strong work ethic will make up for some of the annoyance I will cause. Im pretty nervous to be honest, dont know why.

I cant wait till my skill level is up to doing flat rate. Cha- ching:D

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thats how I got a $3 an hour raise at my job. New manager knew nothing about me, except to take notice that I busted my ass for little money.

13. Confedneck79K30

i didnt start as a lube tech so i cant help you, i had the advantage of tech school and started as an apprentice, only got one raise for .50 besides the 3 bucks i got to go straight warranty, and didnt lose any hours doing so... made good money but couldnt stand the shop management

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thus why I mainly left, and why I want to make the move I want to make.

Went straight to tech as well, no advice on the transition.

15. Confedneck79K30

yeah no advice on the transition, just work hard and get noticed without saying out loud "look at me"