Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yesterday was one of those days.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

So, me and gofergurl get in the 89 to go over to a friends apartment to drop of some CD's and BS for a while. On our way off base I see a friend of mine sitting on the curb. His last name is Villamar-Vader, "Vader" for short.

"Hey Vader, what's up?"
    "Mitch, you wanna give me a ride?"
    "Where to"
    "Eddy's Transmission, it's on the west side by Maize and Central"
    "Sure, hop in the back"

So no we're on our way on an adventure across town. Stop by the transmission shop to see if his car is ready yet, nope another hour and it'll be done. Vader offers to buy me and gofergurl dinner for coming out of our way. Sure no problem, I even know a pretty good place around here called "Backyard Burgers"

So we drive around a bit looking for this "Backyard Burgers" I know it's somewhere in a 3 block square. I finally found it when I came to the intersection of 21st and Ridge. I'm in the right turn lane, and I hear BANG and my steering goes all wacky. WTF did I just break? I spy a driveway about 100 feet down the road and try to continue my right turn to get into the drive. Then THUNK, my front left wheel falls off!!!!

Think fast! Get out of traffic. Okay, lets three-wheel it over the curb into the grass. Got the truck, three wheels and all up the curb and onto this grass hill. Meanwhile I lost sight of my tire. There it is, about 150 feet away on the other side of the road. I eventually got the tire back, a curteous driver offered to drive me and my tire across the 7 lanes of traffic.

Called up gofergurl's parents, and her mom was on the way with a bumper jack and some extra lug nuts. Vader offers to go across the streed to Backyard Burgers to pick up some food. I'm hungry, and I have a headache, I need food. Sure.

By the time Vader gets back, gofergurl's mom shows up with the jack and some extra parts. The ****ty thing is while I'm fighting this rusty bumper jack, Vader is just sitting there munching on his food. Whatever, I'll get this wheel back on anyways. Did a number on the dust shield, used my trusty flathead screwdrive and vice grips to pry it off the rotor and break off pieces that could get in the way. 4 lugs had some royally ****ed up threads on them. No big deal, I'll just force a lug nut onto them and replace them tomorrow, along with the rotor that had a good chunk ground out of it.

Got the wheel on, lug nuts on, and we were good to go. Didn't feel comfortable taking the highway back with the possibility of the lugs coming loose again from the bad threads so we take the long way home.

Never got to my friend's apartment to give him his CD's.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Kind of weird that happened. Hope nobody assisted your wheel in coming off.

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

The worst part was all the people staring at me.

"Hey looky at the truck with no wheel!"

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Glad nobody was hurt, and the damage wasn't more serious.

Do you have steel or aluminum rims? Aluminum rims are awful at coming loose. I have a dodge (I know I know) 4x4 with stock aluminum rims, its not uncommon to have to get out and tighten a few lug nuts after wheeling it. If they're steel, ya that's weird.

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I had the old steel white spoke rims on it.

It was probably my fault, two days before I swapped wheels and tires, and can't remember whether or not I checked the torque on that wheel. My back wheels were good, front right was a little loose.

I'm thinking this weekend I'm going to change my hub bearings as well, I've heard that as those get old they can give a little slop and help lug nuts fall off.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cheap spoked wheels...hmmm...

I've seen many of those cheap white spoked aftermarket wheels have lugs loosen up rapidly..some of them have simply countersunk holes drilled in a flat plate,rather than the holes being "coined",that is,punched from the back side out,which makes a slight depression in the back side of the rim..it acts as a lockwasher to held keep the lug nuts torqued..

The wheels with flat plate centers and just countersunk holes are notorious for having the lugs loosen and eventually come off!..I'd get some stock wheels instead..or at least JUNK the ones that were driven on while loose!.:eek1: ..

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Pulled the hubs off both front wheels today.

New rotors, pads, inner/outer bearings and races, hub seal and a set of warn manual hubs.

Swapping my old 31x10.50 AT's on the old steelies to replace the 30x9.50 MT's that were on the white spokes.

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Happy fun times.... this makes for a good campfire story.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Oh gawd dammit you made me read dredge.:haha:

10. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

happened to me with aluminum rims on my K5...

heard the damn noise,,,something sounded funny....

I thought..ahhh u-joint..

stopped ( twice even ) to check the driveline....
    hmmmm..don't see anything...better baby it home.....

mile later, I'm in tricycle mode with my 15 x 38 ground hawg passing me from the drivers side rear...:eek1::eek1:

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Me, too! :doah::haha:

BTW Mitch, hows Darth doing? He never did starve, did he? :doah::haha:

12. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Hmm Not trying to be a story topper but this just sounds like a normal day or at least not a rare situation:crazy: I like to say everyday is an adventure:D

So were the burgers at least good?

13. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Not a clue! Haven't seen him since early '07.

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Back some years ago when I had my Bronco we were on a wheeling trip out in Nevada. We had just left Pine Grove and were on the flat making good time on a dirt road heading towards Fletcher Springs. My friend's friend was following us in his old Toyota pickup with huge oversized tires for the size of the truck. All of a sudden my buddy, sitting in the passenger seat yells "What the hell!?" I look to my right and see through the open passenger window a tire passing us on the right. The tire veers off and heads out into the open range as we slow down. I look in my rear view mirror and spot the Toyota about 50 yards behind me kneeling down to the right as the right front tire has departed and is now making friends with the jackrabbits off in the sage. It took us about 20 min. to get back to him since we were laughing so hard I couldn't even drive my rig.