Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yet another 14FF brake question (drums this time)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Jun 17, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I was reading in the tech section where to use drum brakes you have to change backing plates to 14sf backing plates. I am curious how accurate this is and if you do have to change them why? I know I know if I went disc it would not be an issue. Well I have to have an e-brake and I dont see the point in dumping the cash on caddy calipers when I plan on running a 205 e-brake when I go with a doubler. Plus the drums and shoes are almost brand new on the 14FF I got.

Thanks

Ira

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

the backing plates (and most of the brake components) are interchangable for the 13" brake size from 14b SF to FF
    the reason to swap would be if you are putting a 70s 14bff into a mid to late 80s truck. the ebrake cables are different, and the easiest way to fix it is to keep the 84+ style on the truck and just convert the axle over by changing the backing plates and ebrake leader cables

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Could I use 14SF backing plates and press my 10Bolt e-brake cables in them or do I have to get complete assymblies (sp?). And also is it cheaper to replace backing plates or have custom e-brake cables made.

Ira

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

No, the 14 Bolt Semi Floating backing plates will not fit on the 14 Bolt FF.
    You'll need to find the correct backing plate from a 14 FF for your E-Brake set up. What year is your rig? I might have a part number for those plates.

Eric M.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Weird. The 13" 14SF plates that came off my Burb were identical to some 13" 14FF plates I had laying around :confused:

Anyway... the 10-bolt brake cables might work on a 14SF or FF with the small drums. They will be too short for the 13" drums.

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't remember the backing plates swapping over from my 14 SF to 14FF when I did my 3/4 ton Burb. I was using the 1 ton brakes (13" x 3.5") on the FF, were you using the smaller brakes? Maybe that's where the difference is.

Eric M.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

As best I can tell my axle is a late 70s early 80s with the bolt on ebrake cable. Brakes are 13x2.5. I am putting it in a 1987 blazer which has the press in ebrake cable. Does anyone make longer e-brake cables that I can use with these backing plates?

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Yes, that makes sense. I'm running the 1-ton (13x3.5") drums also, and the backing plate is much more dished - the spare 3/4-ton 14FF plates (13x2.5") I have are essentially flat, just like the 14SF ones I took off.

I haven't heard of any. :( That said, you should be able to use cables and plates from any '83+ 3/4-ton with 13" drums.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Is the junk yard or GM Dealer the only place to get these? I tried doing a search on the parts house web site and they have cables but no backing plates.

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually, SF plates DO fit the FF axles no problem. I've done a few swaps just to get the correct cables for the corresponding year of truck I was working on.

What needs to be found in order to fit the brake cables to the year of truck in specifics is any SF or FF, 3/4 ton, from '83 on up. These all have the press-in type cables. These cables are not the same length since the passenger side cable runs over to the driver side frame rail.
    The '82 and older plates use the bolt-on type cables which are both the same length. These cables each run up to the forward spring hanger on the rear end.

When you use a 1 ton backing plate, you will need to use the 1 ton drum since the plate sits back deeper to compensate for the deeper drum itself. These shoes are 3.5" wide compared to the 3/4 ton 3" wide shoes.

11. thatK30guy

Last time I checked on GM Performance Parts, they only carried one side plate. The other side was not manufactured anymore. And yes, this is the newer press-in type cable bracket. Can't remember which side was still made though. :frown1:

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the help. I think I saw in another post were inline tube can manufacture cables with any end on them so I could bet bolt on ends for the brake side and the 83+ ends for the frame side. If I am wrong in my thinking please let me know.

13. thatK30guy

I also remember reading on here that someone used some shop/business in Colorado that made/makes brakelines, cables, etc. in any size, length, fitting, configuration, etc. that you could possibly think of. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the business. :( Maybe someone else can speak up........... ;)

14. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought everything I needed from this guy. He is here in Memphis, so I just went to his house. I bought drums and backing plates with all hardware,shoes, wheel cylinders and correct brake cables, all of it is brand new. They are 13"x3.5" too. :D

15. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Doesn't matter. The plates are stamped for a universal fit. The hole is drilled on one side or the other depending on the orientation in the truck.

I discovered I had two lefts on my '91 crew. Yes, the cable was coming out the rear on the right side. When I put them on my Burb, I redrilled one plate for the cable to come out the front.

EDIT: You can also use the later (92-up?) plates. They just have an extra dust lip around the outside. You can grind off the spot welds in about 10 minutes and then they're usable with the older drums.