Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yet another 350th question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

May 4, 2001
    I changed my tranny fluid today and low and behold the filter
    was on upside down. Also there was a ton of sludge in the bottom of the pan. so any way my question since the filter was on upside down was that the reason that there was alot of sludge on the bottom of the pan. meaning that instead of the filter catching the sludge it just recirculated it or am I just completely wrong and the cluches are that far gone.
    can anyone shead some light on this for me?

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon
  2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Mar 8, 2001
    The filter is probbly not on up-side-down, the filter pulls fluid from the top, it doesn't sweep the pan. If the filtrer would pull from the bottum of the pan, it would also be sucking in all the heavy particals and sludge that sttles to the botton of the pan.

A thin layer of film on the pan is normal. Really not anything to worry about. But large "chunks" are, also check the filter screen for debris.

Use a neopreem gasket (S/P? - the black colored gasket). Cork gaskets suck. If you are forced to use the cork, keep the bolt torque low, something like 10inlbs of torque.

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>