Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yet another 700 bites the dust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jcg, Sep 21, 2002.

1. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

As the subject line says, she's done /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Took off from a stop sign and felt the truck kick, then no 2nd gear! It'll do about 2mph if I redline it, forward and reverse, so I'm thinking the pump blew out. Either that or something popped and is venting all the fluid pressure into the pan. I'll know for sure when I pull it out on Monday.

I can't say this tranny owed me anything though, I've beat the living chit out of it for the last 3 years and it's got over 160,000 miles on it (60k of those were in the last 2 and a half years!). Luckily I've got a couple friends who build race trannys so the rebuild won't be an issue, although finding the money for it will be!

2. Brian85gmc

Brian85gmc Registered Member

rebiuld it your self!

there's an article in 4wheeloffroad.com with alot of info and a number to get the video.

will save you a couple hundred bucks

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

*cough* SM465 *cough* /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

4. Brian85gmc

Brian85gmc Registered Member

"*cough* SM465 *cough*

Rene

81K5.5.7.465.205.D60.14FF/Detroit.4.56.36x12.5

"

thats a good tranny, but it's a manual.

I would think a th400 would be an easier swap and still be alot stronger than the 700.

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yeah I've thought of going standard but then I'd have to learn how to drive it! haha /forums/images/icons/blush.gif I have access to an NV4500 for it too, which is very tempting. I'm just gonna rebuild the 700 with the help of some friends, but I have to find the money first. It's kind of hard to do anything these days with $20 in your checking account /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    thats a good tranny, but it's a manual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the heads up... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Rene

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

eewwww /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    sarcasm from you again, didnt I tell you that was my thing, you are the 'nice guy'

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well hey if you don't want the NV4500, how about making it accessible to me.

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

10:1 odds says it's the torque convertor. I had the same thing happen in my 85 2wd Silverado. The tranny had been rebuilt and I told the guy who rebuilt it to make the shift from 1st to 2nd "firm". Basically, I could catch and spin second with a 305 and stock gears. Man did I get some weird looks. Anyway, I came home from college and wanted to see if it would still do it. Took it out on the highway, and it caught the best second ever! Then it died. I came rolling back to the house with the pedal to the floor, creeping along at 5 mph. Come to find out, the torque convertor let go in it.

10. tRustyK5

Sorry...been spending too much time at PBB /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

[​IMG]

Rene

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Actually that wouldn't suprise me at all if it was the converter. It's had like no power lately so I thought I blew a ring or something but the engine checks out fine. I figured either the clutches were totally shot and slipping, or the converter was on it's way out. At least that is a cheaper fix than a whole new tranny. I'll know more when I can pull it all apart tomorrow.

12. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have a 465 and its a perfect swap... better yet the NV4500 would be a better swap. Since you like Automatics I guess the standard option isnt a choice. So lets see how you can help a fellow blazer owner out. You want the TH400. Since you have access to a NV4500 and aren't gonna use it... how about ya let me know how much ya want for it and if its fair I'll arrange and pay for shipping. Then you'll have some $ to play with...

13. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">When I watched you do the M-Trail in 2WD I kept thinking to myself that it couldnt be good for the trans! I say go manual, especially if you have that 4500 just lying around taking up space

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Actually Joe was in 3 wheel drive. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea boy howdy, my friend has a 91 k-5 with the 700r4\np241 combo, his slips like a mother, i have a feeling its the torque converter because when you go to kick it down the engine just races and the truck feels like it goes into nutrel, it sucks, that is why i like my sm465\np208 combo, a nice low range especially when i slam it in granny, great transsmission, very durable, used in blazers\suberbans\ 1\2 ton trucks all the way up to 1 ton trucks. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Hehe, actually I was in 2wd! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I just pulled the broken end of the stub shaft out, unlocked the hubs, and left it in 4lo. Unfortunately with my crappy Truetrac, when you loose one side it acts like an open diff /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I knew I should have put a locker in there before the ride! (and replaced that stub shaft cause it was already damaged) Hopefully the employment gods will smile on me soon and I'll actually get to play engineer! Then I can start my search for a D60 /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately the 4500 isn't mine. I also just found out the owner came up with a plan for it. I think if I did enough begging and put down enough cash he might possibly change his mind, but it wouldn't be cheap by any means... and far more than a 700 rebuild would cost me!