Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yet another 700r4 rebuild question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by timebomb1602, Apr 4, 2001.

1. timebomb1602

timebomb1602 1/2 ton status

ok rebuild time is near what should I get done to avoid it from coming around again soon?

<font color=red>1991 GMC Jimmy, 350 tbi, stock for now, but not for long!!!</font color=red>

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Do yourself a huge favor and find a very experienced shop w/ 700's. Obviously all the updates from the newer trans... I think the extra clutches in the 3/4 is worth it and I'd have them modify the shift to be quicker, but make sure they have 2nd disengage quicker too or it'll bind. A stronger sprag and shell are money well spent as well as a modified servo... I'd lean away from the vette servo unless the aux. Valve body is modified... if left stock the shift will be too hard and tends to beat on the sprag and shell... defenity a new torque converter, but any good shop knows you need one of those w/ a rebuild... Overall this stuff would be running in the 1800 range most likely... stock will run about 1300 or 1500 installed. Also a shift kit is not necessary... a good shop can modify it w/ out an actual kit.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Okay here's a secret the the trans shops don't want you to know......www.transonline.com, click on the Totally Tech Data Base, drop down menu select General Motors, then 700R4, then scroll down and select Rebuild Minimums DO or DIE. This is a pretty comprehensive data base for all transmissions and has pictures too!!! Also has TH 350 and 400 information. When you have it rebuilt, replace the torque convertor. There are particles in the TC that will migrate back to your tranny and cause problems later. Also, have the cooler flushed and if you dont have one yet, add another cooler. Good luck.