Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yet another anti wrap bar post

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, May 3, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hitting the trails tomorrow and I didn't want to run without some type of wrap bar. I already made a new crossmember for a 4-link I'm working on so I added the bottom V link for this trip. I went for a bit of wheeling today and got about the same results as having them straight on the sides. First time out in the mud with the Powertrax no-slip in the front Dana60 too which was a whole new world. It will definately take some getting used to now that it just might "try" and climb over everything I point it at...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

So I take it you like the no-slip? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yes! Thank you, I'm very happy with it! Hows that ARB working out for you? I nosed it up to a wet vertical wall with one front tire and it climed right up, never did that when it was open. Its really quiet, no banging or ratcheting. Other than going straight when turned full lock and climbing with the sidewalls when you least expect it I'd say its transparent!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks like your swampers are ready for the grooving Iron Mike.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, and they arent wearing any slower these days. I feel a set of 37" MTR's in my future! Just need a 1 ton dually setup on stock hummer rims to go with them.

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

rather than starting whole new thread i figured i'd jsut ask this here. I have some heim joints from my old ladder bars, and i'd like to put them on my new anti-wrap bars. should i put them at the top or bottom? could i get some 14FF shock mounts and put them facing the bars for a lower mount? can i use my old ladder bar frame brackets for the anti wrap bars? and where can i get the steel with the female threads for the heim joints and/or bushings?

oh, and where can i get some dual 14FF shock mounts?

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

There ya go....! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm on the edge of making something just like this for the Springer applications....

Does it limit droop at all?

Marv

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

For the ladder bars, adding the heims at the frame side would provide good pivot, you could probably use most of the mounting brackets as well from the ladder bar kit. The bars will fight each other during articulation, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Marv - The bars arc of travel fights the leaf spring arc of travel under articulation limiting droop but its highly effective at axle control. Here are the results of the "Rock Test", much to my dismay because the bars felt fantastic from the drivers seat, and never has the truck been so responsive, predictable and controllable:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My views on flex have changed a little from my experiences this last trip. Having a lot of unrestricted rear flex can help make up for a lack of traction like open differentials, poor tires etc. The draw back has always been the wrap up as well as the long distance in side to side weight transfer. In a long travel rear system like the 57’s, it makes any lift height over 4" semi challenging for off camber climbing unless you run a really stiff shock. Once the rear gets a traction aid like a locker, the biggest restriction becomes lifting a front tire and having to push the truck over obstacles, usually leading to a wheelie or bounce from axle wrap, especially if the trucks weight falls over on to one rear wheel. This is also where the soft springs axle locating qualities begin to diminish and the springs fatigue much faster, or just bend and break. Many of the wrap bars I added at this time helped to control the wrap up but allowed the springs to fully cycle unrestricted (usually running one bar on one side only) - climbing was much better but side to side weight distribution and the extreme articulation would still put me in a bad spot now and again. Now that I'm locked both front and rear, I don’t have a need for as much flex as the 57's can deliver (given my overall lift height / center of gravity) and while this V bar limited my flex, it turned out to work to my advantage across the board. I still get the great ride of the 57's but having the back bind a little sooner did more to keep the front end planted on the ground while climbing articulated over ledges. It also smoothed out obstacles since the weight of the hanging rear tires kept the front end from dropping sooner than it would had the tire rested on the ground. Getting rid of all my anti-squat was an obvious bonus to climbing but that can be achieved either way (bind free articulation, or not). I think the 38’s weight plays a big factor here too in how far it can push the bind point to flex. My future plans with the truck will include ditching the 3” body lift and keeping a relative suspension lift of 4”. I’m also going to fall back down to a less aggressive, lighter and thinner 37” tire. With a lower center of gravity I can see where a lot of unrestricted flex can really pay off, whether locked up or not, but bigger/heavier tires on a heavy truck with a higher center of gravity make having a lot of rear flex quite tricky and in some cases counter productive. As it stands right now, I’m going to keep the V bar on there and do a bit more wheeling on it before I finish the 4 link just so I have a firm understanding of the give and takes, and don’t miss anything.

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Mike,

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.... yup. It's tough to get "all your birds in one bush", aint it?!

Marv

10. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering...Is that front fender suppose to *flex* like that?

LOL

Great job with the V bar...as usual with all your stuff /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i was thinking two seperate bars, like radius arms almost- is that ok also?

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I trimmed off so much of my front fenders that the bottom fender bolts were eliminated. The bolts by the windsheild and the front body mounts under the radiator are all that hold my front clip to the truck right now. It does flex a lot.

As for using side beams like radius arms, its the difference in the arc of the spring and the arc of the bar that makes it bind, not the rotational capability of the bar. I had pretty good succes running just one side bar since the pinion nose would follow the rotation of the longest bar, but adding the second had the same flex limiting effect as the V bar since one side stays long and the other falls short when its twisted up. While the leaf packs can flex to accomodate, the bars can not. Here was the location of the single side bar with a rotating joint at the frame:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]