Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yet another D60 question. Help me Mr. Wizard.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, May 11, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, got to bolt up the D60 today. I have a stack of u-bolts so I wade through them and find the right ones. I get the driver side on no problem. I go to do the passenger side and run into some issues. First of all, I'm not sure I have the right top plate. There are a series of numbers on it, 326428, and it is the only one I had left over. My D60 wasn't assembled when I got it so I'm assuming it is the right one.

When I go to put it on, I can line up the outboard holes with the u-bolt. However, the plate sits too far out to line up the inner holes to the axle holes for the bolts. And, when it sits on the axle, in order to make the holes reasonably line up, the bolt hole for the sway bar is facing the differential, not outwards as it should ( I think ). You can see that the inboard holes are closer together and the outboard holes farther apart precluding turning it around. Here is a pic of the plate and the u-bolt:

[​IMG]

Did I get the wrong plate somewhere? There is a gap also between the spring and the axle. I'm wondering if this is a factor as well. Pic here:

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it goes on only 1 way
    I would start by putting studs in the housing and then see where you end up
    bolts = bad
    you will end up either breaking the bolt in the housing or ripping the threads out of the housing
    neither sound like a good time

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Check out the pics on this page... Swaybar mounts 'outboard' on the pass. side.

http://www.coloradok5.com/swaybardisconnect.shtml

Many aftermarket springs seem to be a bit narrower than the stockers. Not sure if it matters /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

hmm
    mine has 370056 cast into it

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

If that is the right spring plate, it only mounts one direction. The narrow holes go towards the differential with the hole for the swaybar towards the passanger side. The gap between the spring plate and the differential is not a problem.

6. Desert Rat

That's what's funky. My spring plate has the narrow holes on the side that the swaybar mounts in as you can see in the pic. And, the holes for the inside mount seem to be just a little off. The wide side is for the u-bolts. I'm thinking I have the wrong spring plate which ticks me off since I POR-15'ed it already. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Hmmm... Probably a D44/Corp10 plate. On these, the wider u-bolt is on the pumpkin side. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Maybe you don't need a swaybar /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    (I ditched mine.)

8. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I bet you have a Ford or Dodge springplate.

9. Desert Rat

Does the dealer even carry these anymmore? Other than scrounging a wrecking yard, I'm wondering if LMC has one.

10. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

They are $45 a piece from GM Parts Direct here are the part #'s passenger side(pumpkin side) # 370056 drivers side # 370055

A 10 bolt or D44 plate will work on the drivers side if you don't mind squeezing the u-bolt just a little to get it into the holes. I only have a pumpkin side D60 plate and I plan on using the 10 bolt plate on the drivers side.

11. Desert Rat

Perfect! Thanks, ordered one up today. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I wish they had options on shipping from GM Parts Direct though. I would've rushed it.