Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yet another engine swap question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Jul 21, 2006.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Here are some pics of the BB that will be going into the K5. Question is, where the heck do I hook up the crane? :eek1: The last motor pull I did was a 350 out of a boat and it had nice handy loops already on it. :confused:

Thanks guys for the help.

100_0402.JPG

100_0403.JPG

100_0404.JPG

100_0405.JPG

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

pull the carb off and use a lift plate that bolts in place of the carb. I've used them many times with no issues, just use grade 8 bolts.

3. SkysTheLimit

Lifting from the intake won't put weird stresses on the motor? That's a lot of motor to hang from the intake. It's a 496 plus a Th400 behind it.

thanks!

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

those plates are super slick. no problems . and big blocks have more bolts than small blocks in the intake so more security. those plates are no more than 25 bucks i think.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't pull it with the tranny but YES the lift plate will be ok, if they weren't they wouldn't sell them. You only other option is to use the bolt holes in the front/rear of the heads.

6. SkysTheLimit

Thanks guys. It took a bit of trekkin around town but I finally found a lift plate at a local speed shop. After wrestling some of the other crap, you'd think I'd have some faith in the strength of metal & bolts.. :D I'm going to use that but also rig up some sort of secondary support.

I got most of the stuff unhooked today and got the radiator out. Started raining pretty bad so had to abandon it. I'll post up some pics for the BB fans once I get it out of the camaro and on a stand.

7. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what are you pulling that motor out of? engine looks beautiful

8. SkysTheLimit

Thanks. It'll look alot nicer in the K5! :D

It's currently sitting in a 81 camaro full on drag car. As soon as I get the engine out, that baby is going on ebay/craigslist/whatever else i can find to sell it on as a rolling chassis. It's pretty hooked up. Full spool ford 9" rear, strange axles, 5 point ladder bar, etc etc. I'm slowly finding out that while the PO spared no expense on equipment, the labor is somewhat questionable.. Lots and lots of "structural zip ties" if you follow...