Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yet another fender trimming question (Yes I searched)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Mar 10, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks to Readymix for lending me his grinder. I got the first fender skin cut and now I have the inner bracing left to remove. How have most of you guys cut this. Also has anyone done anything to the cut edge to stiffen it or does it just "go with the flow" per se. I got stopped by the rain and I dont wanna run an electric tool while sitting or standing in a puddle:doah: . I will try to get some pictures while I am in progress and some when I get done.

Thanks

Ira

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

your electric tools should be grounded... and if they are, its no problem using them in the rain. I do it all the time. People have an unatural fear of the water/electricity combo when more often than not its no problem. Its sort of like if you put a light socket in a bucket of water and dared someone to screw a light into it. 99.9% of people would say "no way man!"... when really it isn't dangerous to do something like that. lol!

Anyway, with regards to fender trimming... some people reinforce the cut edge, some don't. I never did... didn't see much point. Sheetmetal can be bashed/crushed no matter what you do to reinforce that lip... so I didn't think it was worth the effort. Unless you are going to replace the entire body with one formed from 1/4" plate steel, I wouldn't worry about it.

Not sure what you mean by "inner bracing"... a pic would help...

j

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Basically I cut along my line with the angle grinder and a cutting wheel. Then I broke the tack welds holding that piece to the lip of the fender. My inners are already removed, and there is bracing on the back side of the fender skin. This bracing is what I need to remove next and bend up somehow to be "level" with my cut line. Did that make sense? Just for info I based my cut on the measurments that Yunit posted.

Ira

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

Here is a pic I found in another post. The piece at the top of the photo is what I am talking aboot. It is an integral part of the fender and has been cut out in this picture. My question is what do you guys use to cut this with the fender on the truck and how do you make it "level" with the cut on the outer fender.

Ira

5. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

a grinder! big freaking duh for me! ill just go buy a cheap grinder, then i can trim my fenders tomorrow morning! yay!

party time!

not going for perfection, im going with whatever clears the tires good, as the fenders are rusty anyways :P

anyone got pics of some slightly trimmed fenders? -more specifically the rear-most bottom of the wheel opening?!

note that i cant view the coloradok5 pic links :(

after that i will remove the junk rusted stock inner fenders and make some real basic aluminum sheet ones :D

plis i need to empty the outer fenders of all the garbage and insulation thats packed into them from mice building nests and stuff, you should see the big pile of insulation and junk i pulled out of the driver side fender the other day! :O and the other fender is just as packed full!
    crazy..

thanks!

7. kram

kram Registered Member

i gotta rust / inspection deal

started to cut today.i grinded off the arch trim and pulled the side trim.
    used tin snips mostly to get down to solid metal.
    will post pics tomorow.

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I didn't reinforce the lip of the sheetmetal where I cut it, and at some point a large rock hit the lip straight on and caused a wrinkle in the sheetmetal.

9. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I just used a die-grinder to cut everything. My truck came with some fender flares so I put those to good use to hide most of the cutting. I also had to cut the front bumper forward.

Solution: pony up the 25 bucks :deal:

10. dogdaysunrise

I just snapped some pics. You can kinda see what Im talking about in these.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Oh I see how it works Mike. You don't wanna go 4x4ing when I'm around but the next day you go out by yourself then take pictures and post them on CK5. :haha:

12. dogdaysunrise

So I may have found a mud side road on the way home from work :haha:

13. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here's a pic of minor trimming, I still need to finish up and make it cleaner, but i was excited to go wheeling once it cleared the tires.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006