Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yet another frame crack question!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, May 15, 2004.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well I finally got around to installing the weld-in steering box brace. It was kind of a PITA, but not too bad. While I was under ther truck, I gave things a quick look-see and I noticed a small crack developing on the bottom INSIDE passenger frame rail about 3/4" BEHIND the forward most shakle rivit (the front of the 2 that are in the bottom part of the frame that hold the front spring shackle).

The guy I bought my K5 from used it to plow and had welded in a squar tube spanning the frame rails. It goes from the reinforcement plate on the inside of the frame on one side to the same place on the other side...If I remove this make-shift crossmember and weld up the crack, WILL THAT BE A SATISFACTORY REPAIR. The crack only extends about 1" into the frame from the inward edge.

any help would be awesome..

Chris

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the crack will extend much farther then you can see
    when you start to chase it with the welder the heat will show much more then you expect

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

What is the best means of repair then? Pull the shackle off v-groove the crack, drill a stop hole and weld it solid? Add a repair patch?

Chris

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

stop hole seems to be a fools hope to me
    hard to drill the end when you do not know where the end is
    or do you have an xray handy?

I would turn the MIG up nice and hot and chase the crack as far as I could
    once the heat hits it the crack become more aparent
    keep an eye on it for awhile to see if it is going to unzip on ya

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd grind what you can see, then use a torch to warm it up some. A bit of heat should show you the true extent of the crack. Then groove it out and weld from the end of the crack back towards the origin (which is probably a bolt hole or rivet hole)

You might be able to find a crack check deal at a welding supply place. We used to use some stuff that was a white powdery 'developer' you'd spray on one side, then you'd spray a red penetrant dye on the other side. The dye would bleed through the crack and show you EXACTLY where it is and how far it goes...well beyond the capabilities of the naked eye. Left long enough on cast aluminum the dye will find its way through the porousness whether it's cracked or not. It would work beautifully on your frame.

A stop hole might work, but if I was to use one I'd start my weld at the stop hole and weld towards the origin of the crack. Better chance of a successful repair in my experience.

rene

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Is this the dye you're talking about?