Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yet another idle problem thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dynoram, Jun 5, 2006.

1. dynoram

dynoram Registered Member

Ok this ones got me a bit stumped. About a month ago the truck began to surge at idle. it would clear up if you let the truck idle for a minute or two. Been kinda busy lately so didnt have time to investigate. Now as of yesterday the truck will fire fine idle for a second then shut off. After about the third try i can usually keep it running. Once you get threw this stage it runs and drives fine. Pull up to a light it idles fine. No other driveability problems :thinking:. The IAC coolant temp sender and TB base gasket were all changed last year around this time to fix a high idle problem. This doesnt really rule them out tho i guess:crazy:

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

EGR control Solonoid, or a bad vacuum connecting that solonoid to the egr valve is what I think. You might want to check your egr valve too make sure its working correctly. The surge idle was a vacuum line in my case. If you give it gas will it run or no?

3. dynoram

dynoram Registered Member

Yep runs ok gotta keep it above 1500 rpm for a half minute then it will idle fine.

4. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

I have a similar problem in my idle surging. I replaced the TBI gasket with no help. When I actuate the egr diaphram manually, the idle raises and smooths out considerably. Would this induadte the EGR itself or the control solonoid is bad? The hoses all look to be in very good shape.
    Brett

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would say the valve is bad, because its most likely not returning to its right position. But I would try the solonoid first its only like 20 some bux at napa vs the valve at like 70. Hope it helps