Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yet another lovely example of police hypocrisy.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Here you go, Ratch.

A West Vancouver police officer who crashed her car last year while off duty and with a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit is still in line for promotion, says the department.

CBC News

(CBC/North Shore News)

Const. Lisa Alford ran into another car in Burnaby early in the morning on Nov. 26, 2005. She pleaded guilty to driving with a blood-alcohol level of more than .08, and was sentenced to a one-year driving suspension. West Vancouver police spokesman Cpl. Fred Harding said Thursday that Alford is second in line for a promotion at the department because she's a good officer, despite the conviction.

"This one incident, we all know - and she knows more than anybody - it fell well below the standard that is expected. It fell well below the standard that she would like to present to anybody. But in every other aspect of her policing career and personal life, she performs exemplarily."

Harding says Alford is currently working at a desk job, on a system that shares information between police forces.

Drinking happened at police station

West Vancouver police Chief Scott Armstrong said Alford had been drinking with colleagues after work at the West Vancouver police station before her accident. He said such drinking sessions happened occasionally on police premises, and were sanctioned by the force. He said he had even attended some of the parties himself. After Alford's conviction, he put an end to the events, he said.

MADD not happy

The national president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving says she's disappointed a police officer would get behind the wheel after drinking. However, Karen Dunham is restrained in her criticism of the officer's behaviour.

"Of course it's disappointing for us. We work hard to get the message out there that if you're going to consume alcohol, you don't get behind the wheel."

Dunham said any punishment on the job is an issue to be dealt by police department.

Armstrong said Alford did face a disciplinary hearing and was disciplined, but isn't saying what her punishment was. She was put up for promotion after the incident, and the chief said she will get a promotion when a position becomes available.

Funny. If I lose MY license, I lose my job, even after 18 YEARS OF SERVICE. It must to be nice to know that no matter how badly you screw up, the wagons will be circled in your defence, and you'll still be in line for a promotion. :surepal: :surepal: :surepal:

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Amazing, ain't it????

A few years back in my hometown in Oklahoma, a local cop pulled a car over that was driving erratically. It was early AM, and the car had city plates on it. Inside the car were city employees who had been out partying in a city car. All occupants were intoxicated.
    The officer called dispatch and had another patrol car come to the scene, so ALL the occupants could get a ride home!
    The city car was left parked on the side of the road. No citations were issued.
    When the story came out in the paper, the polie chief defended the actions of the officers involved. The chief stated that it was not unusual to give people rides to their homes, and the initiating officer had the DISCRETION of whether or not to issue a citation.:mad: :mad:

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

when are we gonna quit ****ing with drunk drivers? Seriously... its a joke. If you drive drunk as hell and, by luck don't kill anyone, you get a slap on the wrist. The only reason the incident didn't end in tradgedy is pure luck. I dunno what the answer is, but we need to fix it. We lose more people in a month on the hwy than we have lost in 3 years in Iraq. Stop the madness and take some damned drivers licenses away already! If that doesn't work, throw 'em in the slammer and give them a huge azz fine or something.

j

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Whoop-de-doo. She's still a convicted criminal. She's no longer someone I would want "serving and protecting" me.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I am confused. Aren't convicted felons banned from owning/carrying handguns?? What's she gonna do-move to UK and carry a nightstick?????

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i know of 3 people who killed someone while drunk, all did 4 years. i know 2 people who have got DUIs, and not killed anybody, but had to do 8 years. whats wrong with this picture?

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I thought guns were banned in canada anyway.

8. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

Only if you are a law-abiding citizen.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

In the US, yes but not just handguns - all firearms. A felony is more than a year in the klink. Doubt she could still be an Officer after that.
    Misdemeanor (sp?) doesn't necessarily preclude gun ownership. Depends on what the Judge decides, but I'd bet it's very rare to have that Right removed b/c of a lower grade offense.