Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yet another paint gun thread...

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by afroman006, Aug 28, 2006.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Ok I've spent all afternoon browsing the net researching different brands and models of paint guns and am looking for some final insight before I buy (which is still a few month away, pesky drinking habbit...). Following Ryoken's previous advice, the following are the ones that seemed to fit my budget, $2-300, and offer enough versatility so I wont have to buy another large gun. Also, I have a few questions at the bottom. Thanks.

Binks

M1-G
    10CFM @ 18 PSI
    1.2, 1.3, 1.4 & 1.7mm tips available
    Gravity feed
    ~$300

Mach 1
    22.5 CFM @ 50 PSI (I think this is too much air for the compressor I’m gonna get)
    1.4 included and 1.2 available
    Suction feed
    ~$300

DeVilbiss

JGA-635G-14
    1.3 & 1.4 tips included

GFG-670
    9-11 CFM @ 30-40 PSI
    1.2, 1.3 & 1.4mm tips included and 1.0, 1.6 & 1.8 mm available
    Gravity feed
    ~$300
    -Appears to not be HVLP

FLG-643
    13 CFM @ 10 PSI
    1.8 included and 1.3, 1.5 & 2.2mm tips available
    Gravity feed
    ~$120

FLG-653G-13
    13 CFM @ 10PSI
    1.3, 1.5, 1.8 & 2.2mm tips included
    Gravity feed
    ~$200
    -Also comes with regulator and gauge. Looks and sounds just like the FLG-643

GTI-620G Mellinnium
    12.5-16.0 CFM @ 30 PSI
    1.3, 1.4 & 1.5mm tips included and 1.2, 1.6 and 1.8 available
    Gravity feed
    ~$300
    ***Am liking this one the best so far***

Sharpe

T1-HVLP-4013
    13.5 CFM @ 30 PSI
    1.3 included and 1.4 & 1.5 available
    Gravity feed
    ~$210

QUESTIONS:
    Can you spray bedliner with a 1.8 or 2.2 tip?
    How does *a certain CFM* @ ~30 PSI translate to CFM @ 90 PSI? The compressor I am hopefully gonna get is around 11.5 CFM @ 90 so whatever gun I get needs to be able to be used with this.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have not tried to spray Herculiner... I've sprayed tons of non-skid paint, etc thru regular guns, but not bedliner... I do know they call for use of an undercoat, rocker schutz style gun when spraying it...

A 2.2 will probably do it, but I don't know how large the grit is... If its just bedliner your spraying, I'd get an undercoat gun, they can be had on the cheap, under $50...

You can't go wrong with Devilbiss imo, my sentimental fave gun company and the Mellinium looks like a quality gun.... I haven't researched recent guns much so I'm not completely current on whats out.. sharpes are usually the most economical and are a quality gun.. maybe get a sharpe and an undercoat gun...

I wouldn't worry much about the air... You use less than you think... They catch up quick.. I paint 50' boat hulls with a little 110 tag-along 2 h.p jobbie with a 25 gallon tank... You'll use a little more air spraying bedliner, generally spray stuff like that at 40 to 60 lbs (more air will lay it out a little smoother), but most compressors will keep up with that relatively easy... The bigger the tank is the most important thing...

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well I wont be spraying much if any bedliner, I just wanted to keep my options open. The compressor I'm gonna get is a 60 gallon so I guess it should do the job. I guess when it comes to it I can just buy a seperate bedliner gun, it probably isnt a good idea to use something like that in an expensive gun anyway... Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

4. patt107

patt107 1/2 ton status

GFG-670
    9-11 CFM @ 30-40 PSI

1.2, 1.3 & 1.4mm tips included and 1.0, 1.6 & 1.8 mm available
    Gravity feed
    ~$300
    -Appears to not be HVLP

I think when i upgrade to a new gun i am going to go with this ^ gun. I like the 620 also but the 670 uses less air, has the same efficiency rate as an HVLP gun and if you like a traditional gun this has the same feel. I got to use one just before i deployed and i was really impressed with the PLUS guns in the devilbiss lineup. I found it online for 289 shipped when i did a google search. If i was you a wouldnt buy a gravity gun for bedliner, buy one of the undercoating guns and one of the kits they sell for them. I did a truck with a kit that came with the gun for $120, came out great and i think i am going to go that route the next time i have to do one of my trucks.
    pat

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

undercoating guns are cheap. I would never ever ever run anythin even close to herc through my gun, I would say my finishline is out of your price range. what I can tell your and I dont care how the general population thinks on this..

harbor frieght sell a gun for arount 50 bucks, I have had luck with it, used it of a couple newer bumpers or for fixing friends junk, for someone who does not paint often, it offers a way to keep cost down. I can hope you will use the gun more then just a time or to if yuo spring for a nice piece.

300 for the gun..50-100 a day for a booth

filters, paint, glaze, da, supplies, primer..adds up damn near the cost of paying someone to paint it

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you've got places that will let you rent a booth for a day? that'd be sweet if we had it around here, we noormally just mask the garage off, use a box fan and a filter in the window.

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

a few local family owned bodyshops are more than willing to do that, a franchised or corp shop...I imagine almost never