Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yet another strange sound

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Propayne, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Propayne

Propayne Registered Member

as i take off from a stop, a "pop" or "clunk" sound happends. i just replaced the ujoints in the driveshaft. i noticed my front driveshaft ujoints are extremely loose and wobbly...but i have an np208 so the front shouldnt spin. i also noticed play in my balljoints when i yanked on em a bit.

you guys think it could just be the front drive shaft movin around? gimme some ideas please.

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you know your ball joints are bad then replace them. Your front shaft should not spin if you have locking hubs......take out your front shaft and see if it still makes the same sound.

3. Propayne

thanks chaddy, in that time, i went out and double checked my ball joints. noticed it only does the knock when im turning left even the slightest bit. ill replace all of them tho when i get a chance because if ones bad, the others arent far behind.

4. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you might as well do you axle ujoints while your in there

5. Propayne

will do, until i have the funds for new balljoints, ill just keep greasing them.
    i greased them about an hour ago and no more popping. but they still look pretty bad so a swap is most definate. the ujoints are a walk in the park now since learning how to do the rears.

off topic, anyone know any good Jeep forums for an old J10. im picking one up with a running 360 and tranny for 300$ tomorrow, and ive seen it in action. for a toy, its a steal.