Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yet ANOTHER STUPID question..sorry ahaha

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, May 14, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

k..the gears in my stock 85 k5 are 3.73...and my other one is a 84..so im guessing they are prboboly the same? now i know that this means that the t-case or drive shaft has to turn 3.73 times for the axle to rotate once right!!??...so knowing that...this means that the bigger the gear ratios- (numbers)..(smaller gears)..are needed for BIGGER tires..becuase the higher the gear ratio the smaller the gears..(or something liek that?)..means that the t-case has to turn less times to make the axle turn once..becuase the bigger tires roll farther/faster?? Becuase if you had bigger gears..or (lower gear ratio) the engine would have to work a lot harder to get the axle to turn fast enough to catch up with the rate fo the tires? i dont know if you guys can make sense of me trying to make sense of this? but am i right about this? or have the right idea!? lol

thanx!-Bryan

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You got it, Pontiac!!!!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Basically, picture your 3.73s turning a 31" tire.......now picture them turning a 44" tire.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the engine would be SCREAMING with 44's on there lol right!!??

Bryan

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

with your 3.73s and 44s the only time the engine would go over 2000rpm is in park. it would be bogging down SO freakin bad. with, say, 36" tires you would wanna go to 4.56s. so the bigger the tire, the lower the gears. what tire size do you wanna go to?

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Nope.......it's the other way around, brother.

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i run 4.88s with 39s and with that ratio/tire size i am back to what my blazer was like with 3.73s and 32s...

check out the table at the bottom of the page to figure it out...<a target="_blank" href=http://www.superlift.com/gear.htm>http://www.superlift.com/gear.htm</a>

Later

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

linky dont worky...

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea well i started to thinik about it and i think your right..in any event i knwo what i need now anyways...but then others on here have told me that im right..so i dont know!!lol

Bryan-later

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yes right thats what i mean lol..the ibgger the tire...the llower the gear ratio....(and the higher the actual number)...im going ot run my stock 3.73 gears on new 33s...that should work out fine...and also from what i hear.

Bryan-later

10. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Are people really laughing out loud when they type LOL?

On a side note, how do they get teflon to stick to the pan?

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

You have it right from the standpoint that for every 3.73 revolutions of the driveshaft, the axle will turn one time. So, think of it this way, add bigger tires with the same gears and first off the engine has to work harder. Yes, for each revolution the vehicle goes farther, but the engine has to work harder to turn the wheels. Put a small disc on the end of a shaft and it is fairly easy to turn. Put a bigger disc and it will go further for each revolution, but will be harder to turn. That means, at the same RPMs as before, your vehicle will actually be going faster. Or, the reverse says that at the same SPEED, your engine will be turning lower RPMs. To operate with the utmost efficiency, your engine should turn between a certain set of RPMs, commonly referred to as its power band.

Now, if you go with lower gears (bigger numbers, also referred to as taller gears), your engine doesn't have to work as hard. If you upgrade to 4.56s, that means your engine will turn more RPMs for each revolution of the axle but it won't have to "work" as hard. That's the whole concept a transmission works on. In a lower gear, it has higher numbers (i.e. first gear in a 700 is a 3.06:1 ratio). Fourth gear or drive in a 700 is 1:1. The idea is that the engine may turn more RPMs, but it stays in its power band and is therefore more efficient. So, with 4.56s, you distance (or speed) will be reduced at the same engine RPMs as when you had 3.73s. Or, the reverse says that the engine will turn faster at the same speed as before.

An engine is designed to work best at a certain RPM range. The axle gearing and transmission setup are configured for this from the factory based on the original tire size and options. For example, most K5s from your year had 3.08 gears in them. If they had the "trailering package", they usually had taller gears (3.73s) as this would increase the towing capacity of the vehicle. So, with this is in mind, gearing changes in the axles should be used to counter changes in tire size to try and keep the factory numbers consistent.

Sorry this was long, but I hope it clears things up.

12. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

you should be fine with the 33's and 3.73's. I have 3.42's and 35's and my truck does OK. I have a set of axles that I'm putting in soon that has 3.73's and I thihk I will like that combo just fine.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok..thanx for al lthe great info guys!! yea im going to go with some 33 BFG muds..sound good?
    Bryan-later

14. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yeah it does...try again

Later