Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yet another tire question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wingnutt, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

My first post dissapeared, so let's try this again.

OK, my Sport Kings (32x11.50x15's) have served me well, but the are due for replacement soon. The tread is getting on down there and after a wild slide @70mph today to avoid using a Geo Storm as a launching ramp on the interstate, they now have a nice big flat spot on each tire. I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna go with a set of All Terrain T.A.'s sized at 33x10.50x15. I think we are all in agreement that 33x12.50 will rub when flexed, but what about 33x10.50's? My K-5 does double duty as the family vehicle, so I can't afford to wheel it very hard. I will be mounting them on the factory 8" wheel which is right in the middle of what Goodrich recomends, so backspacing won't a problem. How 'bout it? Opinions are welcomed. BTW they are going on an '88 with no lift (yet). TIA

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can't say for sure but I really do think they will still rub. Maybe not entirely as much as the 12.50s but still. I think its more the tire height issue than width in this case.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If ya gonna run an 8" wheel and don't wheel hard, go for the 12.50. I did okay flexing mine out. Would rub on the front most of the time when the wheel was cranked, only rubbed once on the rear.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It is more of a hight issue, but if you go to a 10" wide rim the tire's hight will be decreased enough that it shouldn't rub. Plus I like the wider tire look anyways /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    My first post dissapeared, so let's try this again.

[/ QUOTE ] i deleted one of them because you had the same question in both this forum and the garage forum /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif please pick one or the other but please don't double post
    thank you /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Ooops, sorry. I posted in both places because not everybody reads every area. Thanks for the heads up.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I run the 33x10.5R15 BFG AT/KO's, and no, they never rub.

What the post that is titled "33's with no lift?" (or whatever it was called) basically came down to, is that it is almost wholly dependent on the individual truck.

I've got stock *3* leaf front springs, and if that makes the difference compared to 2 leafs, I wouldn't know.

I'm running the stock 15x8's (or 7's, didn't check) rally wheels, and measuring the BFG's AS INSTALLED on the truck, overall height of the tire is really about 31.5-32.5.

Any reputable tire shop should allow test fitting as I see it. No reason to go 33x12.5R15 if you ask me, unless you can justify worse mileage and increased likelihood of hydroplaning, or getting stuck in shallow snow, a narrower AT is probably a better bet. The BFG AT handles great on the street, and does pretty good in the snow until it starts getting deep. They don't self clean very well, but again, for a mainly street driven rig, they are a great choice, save for the $135 (or so) price tag.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It is more of a hight issue, but if you go to a 10" wide rim the tire's hight will be decreased enough that it shouldn't rub. Plus I like the wider tire look anyways

[/ QUOTE ]
    The tire will be sticking out of the fender enough with an normal backspacing that the tire will bang the lip of the fender.

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Should be OK. depends on how worn your springs are. Generally, the 12.5 wides will rub just a tad if your springs are in moderate shape. with the 10", or the 10.5" you should be just fine.

Just my 2 cents.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, go 12.5s... you said you arent going to wheel it hard... so why would it rub? even if it did... so what. lil rubbing never hurt anyone. trim fenders as needed.

j

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Somewhere there is a 33" tire thread floating around.

I'd get the 33x12.50s. You should be alright with the 8" Rally wheels. If not, you can always persuade the fenders out of the way with a hammer. If anything hits, it'll be the bottom edge of the lip of the fender. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to cut some of the lip out at the bottom.

I have 33x12.50s on 15x10 wheels with 4" of backspacing. If I were running 8" wide wheels I'd have no problem. However, that extra 2" pushes the axis rotation of the tire out further which makes the outside edge of the tire travel further and into my fenders. I managed to do modification without any cutting.

You can see all the classic rub spots here:
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/fendertrimming-100902/

12. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Well we all seem to have our opinions don't we. The consincess is that they probably won't rub, but....... As soon as I can scrape up some $$ I'm gonna go with em and we'll see if they rub.