Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yet another vehicle I'm thinking about...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 23, 2007.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

98 Extended cab, 3/4 ton, 454

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/car/298514042.html

He's asking $3k.
    It has 260k on the clock...
    He's did the tranny last year. The oil looked good, the exhaust was appropriate, it was pretty quiet, too.
    It drove OK, but needs antilock brake work, possibly more.
    The front end felt a little loose, but I didn't drive it long enough to get a real good idea. He said it'll need tie-rod ends, and I noticed one of the upper control arms bushing was a little chewed up.
    Definately needs some cleaning up, the body has plenty of nicks and dings, chipped paint, bedrails have bolt holes, interior is dirty, but it could probably clean up fairly well.

The brake light was on when I started it, then later as I started the test drive, an "antilock brakes" light came on also. He said the first brake light was because the antilock had issues, but now that I think about it, why would GM put two brake idiot lights in?? I'm thinking maybe there's another problem with the brakes, but they stopped the truck fine, a little tight in the back, but he said he *just* adjusted them, so they'd need a little break-in.

What I'm wondering is...Is this truck a great deal, or an ok deal? I'm tired of daily-drivers I have to spend time fixing, and this thing *hopefully* only needs minor things I can have a shop do without costing me a fortune.
    Is $3k right for it, about market value? Or is it worth it, and if I get fed up with nickel and diming, can I make my money back?
    Maybe I should I wait and get a loan for a truck in better shape for more money?

Your thoughts, gentlemen.

2. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like an OK deal to me. Price sounds about right for what it is but would have to be lower for me to consider it. I'll bet you could find a truck with less problems for the same price if you bide your time...

Last year I let my loaded '96 Tahoe go cheap for $3000, 152K on the ticker. It didn't have any of the problems you mentioned on that truck, I was just sick of the gas mileage (I drive 45 minutes one way to work every day). It also had some rust starting on the back doors and rockers.

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

That thing will nickle and dime you to death.

4. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I disagree. It will hundred dollar bill him to death:haha:
    George

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I was just trying to put it nicely :rotfl:

6. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

i would wait and try to find something in a little better condition with fewer miles

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sounds good, I'm going to pass on this one. Thanks yall. :thumb:

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

before i read any other replies.the bolt holes in the fenders are a red flag Ratch. that truck was beat in some kinda construction job.it prolly had 1000lbs of equipment bolted to it.ladder rack, toolboxes,etc.plus what he carried in it.i would not get it.