Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yet, more problems with my 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Apr 3, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

OK my m1009 has good glow plugs now and works good. Its getting fuel. 2 new batteries and starter. Fixed the fuel leak. Still no start. What the heck am i missing here? i really have no clue what i did. Any help would be great thanks again guys

2. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

Ok... this is the one that has yet to start right?..even after all the efforts..we had a litle white smoke at the pipe after significant cranking as I recall. Is that still the case?? If so we know some fuel is getting to the injectors...

3. 84CUCV

yea, its getting fuel still. how do itest the injection pump? it has about 5k on it, but maybe something went?

4. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

Well...injection pump tests are not really a backyard thing...I have heard you can crack the fitting at the injector, crank the engine an look for spray...or fuel dribble or some such thing... I haven't heard of anybody pulling an injector out of the head while still hocked up and cranking the engine...to see if she sprays..but it seems like that would work... ANYBODY DONE THIS...??

5. 84CUCV

OK if i need some big testing thing i guess i need a pro....great i see $$$ allready thanks

6. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

Mike, turn your key on and go unplug (check for power) and plug back on(if it has power) your red wire on the injector pump. If it is working, you will be able to here the solonoid (sp?) clicking. If you have power and no clicky...more than likely has a bad solonoid. Now if no clicky and you want to see if the engine will fire, you can take the top cover off and it will fire up...DO NOT REV it up if it does fire or fuel will go everywhere..some will come out anyway, but not much..then to kill it just push that lever on the left side of the pump, in the bowl, forward(what the solonoid would do to kill it) I have not read your other threads, but you also need to make sure the air has been bled fron the lines or it will take forever, if it does, to start. Just crack the lines at the injectors and crank...

7. 84CUCV

thanks for the reply. i have done all of that and it was good. what now?

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

don't know if this is an engine that you're trying to start for the first time, but what really got me messed up for a few days when trying to start the 6.2 i built was having the injection pump timing entirely wrong, thereby sending fuel into the cylinders at the wrong time. i also didn't properly bleed the fuel system inspite of what i had thought. really would encourage you to quadruple check and make sure that you're fuel system is bled properly.

9. 84CUCV

OK iwill try it again thxnks mike

10. 84CUCV

Well, tryed it again. Got some more air out. the motor only has 24k on it. My patents are just about gone. been this way for weeks now. No idea what to do. guess its time to spend some cash and get it done by a pro. damit

11. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

do you know for sure that the injection pump is timed properly?

12. 84CUCV

Its was working fine just about two weeks ago. Has not been moved since it was put in

thx

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Take heart our DB2 pumps are cheap as far as diesel injection pumps go. Go price a Cummins pump :eek1: , you'll feel much better.

I would highly suggest you see if there's a Stanadyne rebuild center (or any fuel injection pump rebuild facility) near you. They should be able to check your pump without rebuilding for less money, maybe.

14. 84CUCV

thx dieseldan i will