Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yikes! Why you need to upgrade your shackles....(pics)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Oct 14, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Had a great day of hard wheelin yesterday (Sunday) but my steering felt a little loose afterwards...I think this could be the problem:
    Shackle carnage 1
    Shackle carnage 2

So once again I'm patronizing ORD /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yup, i swapped mine out a few weekends ago, after harassing one mod here for his suggestion over the fone (thanks greg! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif )

Mine was cracked, didn't know it. Now my axle is move a bit forward a bit more and with the x-over, steering is great...

now i just need to make time for the AGR powersteering pump /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ouch! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Had the same thing happen to the Brown Turd K30 once. Just slapped on another spare shackle I had laying around. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

WOW! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That looks like it was fun to drive home that way! I think I am gonna get my shackles soon!
    Bill

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

wow now i feel pretty good about buying those hill4wd shackles.

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

And don't forget to upgrade those shackle bolts also!! I just broke my 3rd 1/2" grade 8 shackle bolt!!! This was with NO wheeling!! What do you guys think about running a 5/8" bolt directly against the poly bushings (presently it has a 1/2" bolt with the steel tube spacer, that allows the bushing to be shielded from the bolt). Other than that, I'm thinking of obtaining some higher grade bolts, perhaps grade 16?? A friend told me they use that grade on Caterpillar dozer blades... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Dude, consider yourself lucky... I have some frame repairs to do because of something like that...

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have done this, the only thing you have to do is get lock nuts and don't overtighten the bolt just get snug.
    Never broke a bolt after that.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I made my own out of some steel that is at least twice as thick as the stock shackles. They have 3 top holes so that I can adjust the front ride height in 3/4" increments. I use them with the ORD greasable bushings.

11. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i used 5/8 in mine along with some 3/8X 1 1/2 cold rolled flat stock.never had any trouble.

12. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The problem with this is that trying to lift your truck with longer front shackles really screws up the pinion angle. Not only that, but you can also make the truck a hand full on the road by screwing up the Ackerman(sp?) angle. It can become very twichy which isn't fun in a top heavy truck! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Mike

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Ackerman isn't affected by shackles, it's the caster that's affected. Going a little buit longer is generally OK, but more than a couple inches I'd start getting a bit scared. However if you have the axle shimmed to aim the pinion up towards the t-case, the longer shackles will actually put the pinion closer to stock than it would be without them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif</font color>

14. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Another clue that your shackles may need replacement is if your truck leans to one side. It gave me fits adjusting the body mounts trying to level the truck before I found a worn out shackle bushing. The spring was resting against the frame.

15. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I know not to over-tighten the bolts. Had lock nuts on there also. 5/8" seems to be the way to go. I still can't beleive that stock GM uses 7/16" shackle bolts!!!

16. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    you can also make the truck a hand full on the road by screwing up the Ackerman(sp?) angle. It can become very twichy which isn't fun in a top heavy truck!

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be why I have had zero problems with it! Others have had similar results. It's even possible that this change could make it handle better. Changing the front height by 3/4" (1.5" longer shackle) only affects caster by about 2 degrees. If the caster is right on in your "average" height, you can go up or down a little bit and still be acceptable. You just don't want to have marginal caster to begin with and then put 2" longer shackles in. In that case, you will need shims.

It takes a lot more than shackles to change the Ackerman angle.