Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

YIPEE!!!!!!!!!*Updated..See Bottom*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trouble1, Oct 25, 2002.

1. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I DID IT!!!!! My Cam came in this morning....so I begged some friends to let me use their garage. I Dont have everyones names in front of me...but if you helped me out on my post, or did one of the write ups on the cam...THANK YOU!!!It Rocks!! I just did 70 up rabbit ears unless your a law enforcement...then I did 55! All I gots to say is Replace your cam if you got a stock 305. Damn theres a hell of a lot of difference. I swear when I put in the 4.56's, I'll be doing wheelies /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'll do a write up later about what all I had to do and came accross. There were just a couple of things I ran accross that wasn't listed. Again Thanx! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Re: YIPEE!!!!!!!!!

ttt

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the Pep up! Yeeeeeeeehaww!
    Bill

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've said many times that $150 put towards a cam will make WAY more difference than the same money spent on headers, or mufflers, or throttle body spacers, or high zoot ignition systems. I've never made ANY mod that was more impressive than swapping in the right cam! It has the most bang for the buck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Congrats on the successful install!

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Many people underestimate the importance of the cam. I am glad you went for the comp cams. getting 300 hp out of a 305 isn't hard with the right parts.

6. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help....now I got to go find some trails today to see what it will really do!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmmm sounds cool! maybe i should do something like that to my 305..when i get it RUNNING lol...

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Congrats!! I've always had good experiences with Comp Cams, and their tech line is usually right on target if you're honest with them.

Rene

9. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Got the part numbers and such for the CAM? sounds like what I need for my 305. Should just drop in a 350, but I have always taken a shine to the 305.

10. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

COMP CAM part #12-231-2
    Grind # CS X4 250H-11
    Gross Valve Lift 0.432 / 0.453
    duration at 0.006 tappet lift 250 / 258
    duration at 0.05 206 / 214
    Lobe lift 0.288 / 0.302
    Lobe seperation 111
    there phone number is 1-800-999-0853
    If ya need any other info yell... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

Did you have to change the valve springs and rockers too?? I was thinking about either swapping in a new cam and springs (valve seals are leaking pretty bad) or just waiting until spring and putting a 350 in my K5. If a cam really woke your truck up that much, I might have to do the same thing! How much did everything cost when you got it all done? Thanks for any info!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

OK...heres the dent that Chase Manhatten just swallowed...Some of this was not totally neccessary, but it was a while I am here, I might as well do it before it breaks...All prices were total after shipping or taxes or whatever else got tacked on:
    Cam, Lifters and Springs from Comp Cam...262.89
    Gaskets from Carquest- Valve cover, Oil pan, Intake, Fuel PumpWater pump, timing cover and seal...Fel-Pro - 36.95
    Comp Pushrods and guideplates - Napa -68.95
    Edelbrock Accu drive gear drive - 173.00
    Carter Fuel Pump - 59.99
    Meling High Volume Oil Pump and Shaft - 29.00
    Misc....Replaced Belts and Hoses....while your there kinda thing...100.00
    So the whole thing cost about 730.78 for me...but if you look, the vast majority of it was not needed. I did much of this just to be able to eventually get some cash out of this motor....A friend has a 87 Camero, and he's considering buying the motor....Should rock in that. Then I get to start all this over with a 400!!!! The results of this were night and day...The springs were not needed at the time, so if you take all of that out, and just go with a normal timing chain as opposed to the gear deal...I'd guess it would be about 200.00 to 250.00.
    As far as difficult, If I could do it, anyone could. I am not even close to a mechanic. Just get as much info as you can... If you search thru here there are a couple AWSOME writeups about this....when I finally get pics on here, there is one where I had printed all the writeups off here I could find and taped them to the inside of my hood so all I had to do was look up and it was right in front of me!!
    Thats really all the info I have...all I can say is I wish I'd had done this a long time ago. If you replace your cam and get 1/3 the result's I did, you will be ecstatic. Again, Thank You to ALL who had any part of getting me thru this. If we ever meet...the Beer is on ME!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

Trouble, thanks a ton for all the info!!! I might end up just building up my 305 vs. buying a 350. As far as installing it goes, I'm a tech at a Chevy dealer so that isn't a problem at all. I did everything on my Camaro motor myself except for the machining work so I know working on these old Blazers is a breeze compared to it!! Thanks again for the info!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

That must be so nice...until friday I've never tried anything like this before...good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif