Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yoke at t-case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Nov 11, 2003.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i thought this fluid was coming from my u joint so i replaced the u joint and steam cleaned the shaft and sounding area. after doing this, my rig set for a few days without being moved. when i went back to it and looked underneath, i could see that the moisture was transmission fluid. the yoke that slides into the transfer case is hollow - is it possible that i have a crack at the bottom of the yoke shaft (driveshaft end) and that the fluid is seeping through? anyone else experience this? the seal at the transfer case is dry so i am sure that it is not coming from there...

[​IMG]

2. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

yes it is possible that the 'slip yoke' could be cracked or the tailshaft housing of the t case is cracked or the rear seal is leaking. i would inspect the case for noticeable cracks before doing anything else major. the weakness of the aluminum case is the downfall of the newer 208 and 241 t cases.

3. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

If it looks like its leaking out of the yoke its self then it probably is, theres a seal kind of like a engine freeze plug pressed into the end of a yoke, that could be leaking, happened to me, when ever id park with the rear facing down hill it would leak pretty fast actually.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'll 2nd that guess. Mine leaked from that plug untill I replaced it due to other damage.

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

The plug is not structural so you can just silicone it if it is leaking from there. I have a newer slip yoke I need to get rid of if that doesn't work.

6. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

fubeca, i just ordered a slip yoke for 65.00 - like 10 mins ago. i may have been able to fix it up with some silicon but i have a pretty good transmission leak and i wanted to be sure to eliminate this one. once i get this installed, i will post a pic of the leaking transmission and try to get some advice on fixing it...