Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yoke-side pinion bearing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aburnett, May 12, 2003.

1. aburnett

aburnett Registered Member

OK, 1st problem. My blazer makes consistant whining-type sound which made me think that the Pinion nut was too tight and maybe messed up the crush sleave. The rear end leaked anyway, so ive removed the diff and pinion and check it all out.
    Anyway the finished surface that the bearings behind the pinion oil seal roll on have a roughed-up "spot" about the size of your finger tip.

Could this be the culprit? The rest of the parts are in good condition.

Can it be removed? and if so how? What is the name of the part so I know what to shop for.

I am barely above novice mechanical-wise.Sorry if I left any usefull info /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Info:
    77 K-5
    12 Bolt 3.73 Diff
    Stock

2. aburnett

ok, i did some more searching on previous posts, and its the outer race i need to replace. the bearings seem ok, but I will replace them anyway since im this far into it.

As far as the race. I guess i need to invest in a slide hammer. Any tips on replaceing the race with the least amount of grief?

3. aburnett

Update:
    Nevermind. Everything is under control.I managed to knock it out from behind with a floorjack handle and hammer.
    Smooth sailing from her on out. Ill try to do a better job searching the old posts.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You had a thread all to yourself question and answers /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. J/K Glad to see ya got it all worked out.

-Brian