Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yoke Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rd durham, Mar 13, 2006.

1. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

I did a search on this & couldn't find an answer, and I'd like to figure this out before hitting the salvage yards.

I'm working on a conversion of a 1979 full size Jimmy to a 6.2 diesel. I've swapped in the complete engine, transmission (TH400) and transfer case (NP208) out of a military CUCV Blazer. The issue I have is with the rear axle yoke and the driveshaft I pulled from a '86 Blazer (needed the slip yoke driveshaft for the NP208). The rear axle is a Corp 12 Bolt and the rear u-joint on the '86 driveshaft is much larger and wider than what came originally with the Jimmy. Question is, can I swap in a yoke out of an early '80s 1/2 ton pickup/Blazer/Suburban into the 12 bolt rear end that is currently in the Jimmy. Also what rear end form an early '80s 1/2 ton pickup/Blazer/Suburban will work? Corp 10 Bolt, 12 Bolt, etc.?

2. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

why not just swap a 14-bolt rear end under it? i don't know what your intentions are with the truck, but a 14-bolt is a straight swap if the axle is out of a late 80's and later 3/4 ton. The one-tons need the spring perches moved a little.

If you can't manage the yoke swap, then I wouldn't waste the $$ on a 10-bolt. 14-bolts can be had for anywhere from free to $200. anymore is a rip off.

anyway, hope everything works out

3. rd durham

It's primarily going to be my daily driver with some limited off road use, as I have another truck to use primarily off road. I'd love to drop in a 14 bolt, and somewhere down the line that will probably happen, but right now I'm on a limited budget.

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

O'Relly's part number 372 or the same at Napa. :D

That is the conversion joint you need. I've got the same thing in mine right now. :D

Rick

5. rd durham

Thanks! I really appreciate the help.

6. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

You can just switch the yokes. I just did this on mine and put on a 1350 yoke.

7. rick88blaze

Were you able to use the same seal? If not do you have a part number?

Rick

8. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Yes, I used the same seal. The new 1350 yoke sits out a little farther than stock 1310 yoke about 1/2 inch.

9. rick88blaze

one more question? Where did you get your yoke from?

Rick

10. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

A store here in Columbus called B&B powertrain. I don't think they have a website. The one is got is Billet made for race cars...so I'm sure it can hold up to my weak 350.:laugh: