Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yoke Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big10, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Are there any real concerns with changing the rear yoke besides torque' on the pinion nut? Is there anything else that I have to do?
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    After mine continually loosening up and destroying the seal, I locktited the nut, and siliconed the surfaces that *might* leak...the washer to yoke surface mainly.

The pinion nut torque is fairly critical, but my experience has been that if you tighten the yoke as much as possible with a decent sized ratchet, on an already setup ring/pinion, you'll be fine.

Like I said, mine came loose multiple times (3) and each time I tightened it up, with no audible problems. Usually the gears will howl, etc., if the ring/pinion aren't meshing correctly, so I figure it's "close enough". I've now been driving on it over a year, and no problems.

I'd not go with too big a bar, as you could conceivably crush the sleeve in there. That takes a lot of force, and with the axle in the vehicle, you'd have to work to get something large/long enough to crush it further in there. (or perhaps use an impact wrench)