Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yokes for Driveline front and rear?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joryyroj, Jul 14, 2005.

1. joryyroj

joryyroj Registered Member

I ran into a problem, I need yokes for the front driveline and rear driveline. I have called Brothers, and LMC Truck, no one carries. Anyone know where I can find these parts? Thanks in advance.

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Which yoke do you need the transfer case output yokes front and rear? OR the axle pinion yoke for the front and rearend?
    Next question is going to be what size is it, and is there a CV for the rear or just a single ujoint? Measure the diameter of the ujoint cap and the width between the caps.
    If you're talking about t-case you need to find out how many splines the front output is also so you can get the correct yoke.

Go to the junkyard and pull these parts. :thumb:
    I have a few yokes laying around.

3. joryyroj

Thanks. I guess I am over my head. I am having the drivelines rebuilt at a shop, they are telling me they need the yokes to set the ring and pinion. Apparently I didnt have them with the drive lines. (when I bought the truck these were torn apart)

4. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

So you are looking for the pinion yokes, yes? Most any junkyard can help you with that I would think. Find a Dana 44 yoke for the front and a GM 12 bolt 8 7/8" rear. Used in many many vehicles.

5. joryyroj

Yes, thank you. I have been doing more research and learning and thats exactly right. Pinion Yokes. I found a couple on eBay for like 10-20 dollars. New from Drriveshaft King they cost 85-115 dollars. So I am hoping to grab a couple off ebay, but Junkyard is great advice. Thanks to everyone for responding. One last question? Is a Dana 44 front a 10 bolt diff?

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

hold up before you have your driveshafts rebuilt at a shop.. you should get your pinion yokes for the front and rear... now would be a good time to upgrade from the smaller 1310 or 1330 half ton stuff.. up to a 1350 1 ton ujoint. Since you need to buy the yokes i'd buy the beefy 1350 stuff and then have your drivshafts built to match..
    either going the cheap route with a $25 conversion "trick" ujoint..
    or have the slip yoke changed to a 1350 so you're running a beefy 1350 ujoint. That is what i did when i had a 12 bolt and never had a problem.
    ...But then again for a $100 yoke, hell, I bought my 14FF rearend for $100, that comes stock with a 1350 yoke. ;)

10 bolt and Dana 44 are two different front axles.
    Your 70 K5 has a D44 from the factory unless someone swapped a different axle under it. The "10 bolt axle" has a perfectly round diff cover. The D44 has 10 bolts on the diff cover but it is a distinct "dana" diff cover..Not a round circle..
    The 8 lug outers (hub/rotor, backing plate..) are interchangable, but the internals like the inner axle shafts and gears/carrier are all different.
    There is an early style D44 which was pre 72 i believe and then a beefier 73 up D44 which has larger axle ujoints, non neck down inner shafts, bigger spindle diameter and wheel bearings.
    The earlier stuff is smaller.. Just something for you to be aware of, when i broke an axle i ended up upgrading the D44 axle from the spindle out, to the later model stuff thats bigger. :thumb:

7. joryyroj

Thanks for the info. That is a good idea, I should look into upgrading since I am at that point. If anyone else is curious, I found what the specs were for the Blazer.

Axle & Gears Info

Selected Vehicle: 1972 CHEVROLET BLAZER 350 4WD

Most Common Axles For Your Vehicle:

FRONT - DANA 44 STANDARD - 30 SPLINE AXLES
    REAR - GM 12 BOLT 8.875" TRUCK