Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

York A/C Clutch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broc944, Mar 12, 2006.

1. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Will the clutch from a Harrison compressor fit onto a York Compressor?
    My neighbor gave me a York out of a plane, and it does not have a clutch, I guess in the plane application it ran off a DC motor via a pulley.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You'd be lucky. I know the rotary types (Sanden, GM factory) are totally different from the York.

-- A

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It's different. I don't think the Harrison has a tapered shaft.

You can find York clutches on eBay or directly from On Board Air.

Alternately, you should still be able to get them from most parts stores. Just have them look up like a '76 Ford Land Yacht or something.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

check your pm's broc

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When i bought my York it had a V-groove pulley and i need the serp pulley so i bought a new clutch/pulley set-up and i think i still have the V-groove pulley/clutch kicking around. If you want i can check and see, if so you can have it for the price of shipping.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I want that DC motor!

7. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

You and me both brother:D .

8. 4X4HIGH

If you're still looking for the clutch i found my old clutch and V-groove pulley i took off my York when i bought my serp clutch/pulley.

9. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Thanks, but I have decided I am going with a 12v compressor.

10. 4X4HIGH

No problem, i'll throw it away then. There is no comparison between a 12v compressor and a York. A 12v compressor will take forever to air up tires if that's what you are wanting OBA for. The York could get expensive to piece together but when you're done you can air up tires (very quickly), run all kinds of air tools for trail repairs or just have a nice air blow gun for blowing things off, now try all that with a 12v compressor. :deal:

I don't know what your intentions or expectations of OBA are but that gives you something to think about if you haven't already.

11. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Have you seen the stats on this 12v compressor?

http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/trailhead.htm

EDIT:
    I just found a York 210 with serp clutch on Ebay, mine is only a 206, not sure what to do. I have been debating this all week. Maybe I will make this a pool question.

12. 4X4HIGH

Ok, i justed looked at the link. You do realize that is a York compressor that is run by a 12v motor right? Why pay that kind of money for a 12v operated York when you could install an engine driven York for half that much with an air tank.

13. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Yea I know, initially I wanted to keep all the parasites off my engine, hence the reason for a 12v. Money really is not that much of a object, there are pros and cons to both systems in my opinion. The trailhead's biggest is its duty cycle, I also checked out Viair, they seem to have to many problems for my liking. It all boils down to the most dependable system, I can not afford trail breakages of any sort, I want/need the most dependable system out there.

14. 4X4HIGH

With that being said, since they both are York compressors the only thing to fail on an engine driven York would be the drive belt. The 12v could have the motor go bad, one of the cables, the drive coupler or even the low voltage cutoff protection (switch i'm assuming). Now make your choice. :thinking:

The only pro i see to the 12v is that your engine doesn't need to run but if your engine quits working i doubt you'll be thinking about your compressor for anything. The engine driven York if the pump were to go bad and freeze up and break a belt you could still keep your original serp belt to re-install so you could still drive your rig.