Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

york- but not york- style a/c compressor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Mar 24, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

pulled drivetrain out of a 78 van today, 350 and th350, has an aluminum case cylinder upright style a/c compressor, but not York brand, dealer instaleld system, would this be any good as an air compressor conversion candidate ?

anyone know which one i am talking about, are commonly seen on older engines instaleld by dealers

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I think as long as it has it's own oilreservoir it will be OK. The ones that are lubricated with the additive that goes in the gas will not work, at least not for long.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have heard that the dealer installed units were Yorks. Maybe the tag is missing.

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

post a pic if you can, there were some yorks that were tagged different (do to names)
    where they really are yorks but had someone elses name on them.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it has some other name on it and its not york, its bare aluminum colored aluminuum compressor, hope it didnt get tore up too bad when were pulling engine out of van, the cowl on the vans are so low and top of compressor ate the cowl alot when yanking engine out, hmmm, i havent really inspected yet

thanks

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I bet it is a York.
    That would mean you have the [CrockHunter]Elusive[/CrockHunter] York SBC mount.

Where did it bolt up?
    I found one on a 73 p/u and it was mounted right on top of the water pump and had 2 idler pullies on it.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    pulled drivetrain out of a 78 van today, 350 and th350, has an aluminum case cylinder upright style a/c compressor, but not York brand, dealer instaleld system, would this be any good as an air compressor conversion candidate ?

anyone know which one i am talking about, are commonly seen on older engines instaleld by dealers

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a York.
    I just pulled 2 this week end at Pick N Pull.
    York was a supplier to lots of OEM and you see them under many names, but they are all York.
    It's funny though I only find them in Vans with the 350, never in a pickup or blazer.
    Good score /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Yep, probably a York. There were quite a few vans that had Yorks put on them, though it's in a really bizzare place. Works great for a van since it's engine location, but I'm not sure how it'd work in another vehicle.

If you put it in make sure to post some pictures. I'm curious how much clearence you'll have.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, probably a York. There were quite a few vans that had Yorks put on them, though it's in a really bizzare place. Works great for a van since it's engine location, but I'm not sure how it'd work in another vehicle.

If you put it in make sure to post some pictures. I'm curious how much clearence you'll have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's not higher than the air filter housing, but if it's tight a body lift should cure that.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

couple idlers and is where alt would be on the old 67-72 trucks, is about as high as teh breather with the base spacer and all that you find on vans and 67-72 trucks 4 bbl, ill have a digicam finally after allt hese years ehre in a few days maybe ill get some pics

thanks

11. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

It could also be a Techumsah (sp) compressor. I have one of them on the shelf at work. Looks VERY similar to a York.

Take a look here for some info on all different tpyes of compressors.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its not that either, i knew the name on the tag on it but i forgot it now, hmm.., ill try and remember to post tommorrow

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Looks a bit different from a York to me, must be a clone of some kind. Here's a pic of mine froma similar angle -

[​IMG] </font>

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

how did you post directly ? i cant get img or image brackets to work on the forum unlike on others

thats about 90% identical to mine, i forgot again today to get the name off the tag sinc ei had forgotten it the other day, hmm.,,.

thanks

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yahoo probably won't allow you to link directly. Yeah, it looks aalmost the same, but I don't know if York ever used different castings. There are some off-brand York style compressors but the ones that I've seen appear to have almost the exact same casting. I wouldn't be surprised if the guts are interchangable. </font>

17. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Maybe its an aftermarket replacement for a York?

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

a york competitor probably im sure, what dealer was supplied with that the van was retrofitteded to a/c with

19. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I just picked up the same thing from the junkyard yesterday. It was mounted to a SBC, so I got the bracket to mount it too! It was in a catering truck so I assume it had something to do with the refrigeration. The tag on it says Borg-Warner and after I got it home and cleaned it up some, I saw it also says York in tiny printing in the bottom corner of the tag. According to this it can be laid down on its side. The mounting holes on the sides of the compressor match up with the ones on the bottom. If hood clearance looks to be a problem I might do this when I get around to mounting it. I may do it anyway just to get better access to the air filter and carb, but who knows. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you are using it for OBA you can't lay it on it's side. It can only be on it's side for A/C.