Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

York compressor rpm limit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pilgrim, Jan 20, 2003.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

what do you think the fastest speed i should run my york at? i've decided to remount it and i was thinking on useing the pully that ran the air pump.. right now the yorks pully size is 6" and it runs of the alt pully which is like 2".(thats about 250-300 rpm at idle) The air pump is 6" and would run the york at the same speed as the engine which would be great at idle..

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I have a post about the york also. JCQ can me this link.
    http://www.onboardair.com/
    got there and on the left side click on York ID Info. That will tell you what your asking.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've read that the York gets better to around 2500 rpm or so. After that the extra rpm doesnt matter. Mine works pretty well at an idle, but I plan on hooking up a fast idle switch for the York and the alternator.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If the pulley you run the york off of is the same size as the pulley that the acc. runs off of then you have not changed the speed of the york. If you are going to run the york off of the air pump pulley with a pulley bigger than the air pump pulley then you will increast the speed of the york.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    . If you are going to run the york off of the air pump pulley with a pulley bigger than the air pump pulley then you will increast the speed of the york.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually using a bigger pulley on the york than the one driving it will slow it down (compared to the other pulley). The smaller the pulley the faster it spins (same reason the alternator uses the smallest pulley).

6. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

ok i'am sorry i had a bit of a mental lapse. i thought that i could increase the speed of the york by moveing it to a larger pully. but i forgot that the alt is driven off the same water pump pully of 6". /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

thanks for the link though thats what i was looking for.. i think i'am still might try and work out a pully set-up to get some more rpm's out to the york..

i've heard the mind goes with age i guess i'am just getting a head start /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif