Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

York Compressor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Apr 1, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Is anyone running a York compressor on their truck? This is something I would like to do, but I don't know where to begin with making a bracket. A picture would help me a ton, or just someone describing how they made a bracket. I am also open to other ideas. Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the Midwest Run pictures and found this picture
    [​IMG]
    Whose truck is that??? Come on, details, details, details, MORE PICS please!!!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Yeah i want to know more about them too. Where's the best place to get them?? How much are they usually?? Etc... Thanks - Doug

Doug Krebs

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Man, that looks like my nasty old engine bay! Someone snapped a quick pic when I wasn't looking!! I am planning on doing a write up on the York install and posting it on the main page. Here are a few details: The compressor is off of a 1980 volvo. It is the highest output york made. The bracket is custom. I used the flat plate that the compressor was mounted to, and added some small brackets to mount it to my factory compressor. I have a 2.5 gallon air tank mounted in front of the gas tank for a reserve. You can barely see the pressure switch and check valve in the pic. I have taken more pics of the bracket and the parts used, and I will try to post them soon.

The compressor works great. It can run air tools, and fill up tires pretty fast. I used it a TON on the spring K5 thing. For lots of info on the York compressor check out onboardair.com's links section. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.onboardair.com>http://www.onboardair.com</A>

BIGJ

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

What belt are you drving it off of? Did you just take one of the current belts and get a longer one? Did you put in any tension wheels? If so how did you mount them? Where did you get those stainless steel hoses? Do you have or can you get some more pictures of the bracket. If you do, could you either post them or send them to me at dawson444@aol.com, it would help me a ton! Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

6. BIGJ

Dawson444 here are a few answers to your questions: I am driving it off of the water pump directly. The pully has room for 3 belts, so no tension wheels are needed. The stainless steel hose came from Grainger. I will have more pics of the bracket and the setup soon.

BIGJ

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Is there any switches hooked up to that for a poer on or does it run when the belts are running?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

"He who uses a winch...... Is tired of yankin!"

8. BIGJ

I have a master switch inside the cab to turn on the compressor. Once on , it is turned off & on by the pressure switch. It cycles off at 125 psi and on at 95.

BIGJ

9. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

When you say has room for 3 belts, do you mean there was room for 3 belts, but only 2 were being used or something? Mine has room for 3 belts, but has 3 belts on it. Is there something I'm not understanding? Sorry for all the questions, I will understand it sometime. Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

10. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

wait a minute...you can add a compressor there??? lol holly flying turds...I dident know that. hmm so where do you get a comp like that? and would you have to fab a bracket to hold it on?...intresting...now I want one!...oh and how much will I be looking at to get one?

"Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me"
    ---------------
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

11. BIGJ

When I bought the blazer, the water pump pulley had room for 3 belts on it, one serpentine and 2 v belts. The pulley that I am running the compressor off of is the smallest pulley on the water pump closest to the fan. It probably ran some smog stuff originally. Most of the smog stuff was trashed before I bought the blazer. I'll try to e-mail you some pics tonight.

BIGJ

12. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

can you post the pics where the rest of us can see them??, and where would that be? the only place i have been is to this message board, are there other places i should be checking ???
    chris

13. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I was just fishing around and found this a good article for a jeep install of one. Has very good info though about the setup and compressor itself. The site is www.rockcrawler.com then go to tech articles, then scroll down and on the right column there are 2 articles about it. Later - Doug

Doug Krebs

14. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I will attest to the absolute flawless functionality of Jeff's onboard air system. We ran an impact, a die grinder, and an air ratchet with NO problems- all due to my axle breakage. We also filled Swampers, Boggers and any other tires that the guys aired down. (Thanks Jeff). This mod moved up on MY priority list after using Jeff's system. todd

15. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

Been seting up the same thing on my truck got everything set jsut need to do the brackets liek everyone is asking about [​IMG]

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)