Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

York mounting question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broc944, Apr 1, 2006.

1. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Today I am working on my on board air system. I mounted my York, lying on its side per On Board Air's instructions, suction port on top. The problem is I am wondering how any oil is supposed to stay inside of the compressor. Am I missing something here?

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The lube oil stays in the lower section of the compressor. some is passed through the discharge line when the compressor is working but that is normal in any compressor.
    The York is designed to be mounted on it's side or straight up. Just make sure it has oil in it, and check it every once in a while.

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

You did block that oil passage behind the clutch, right? If not, you need to remove the pulley and clutch, and there's a little hole you'll need to tap for a set screw to keep oil out of the discharge port. Theres a link to a writeup on exactly how to do it in an old post on here. Try a search for "york oil passage fix"

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Yep I did that this morning, just when I mounted it on the truck alot of oil pored out of the discharge port. It was a freshly rebuilt York, I had not bothered to check the oil level in it, actually there was a sticker on it saying there was no oil in it.