Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You be the judge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, May 10, 2004.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

In another desperate attempt at solving my Death Wobble, I've conceded that I will buy new tires. What's the catch?

YOU GUYS GET TO DECIDE WHICH TIRES

I'm looking for a 35"x12.5" Mud Terrain Radial, noise is not an issue, but wearing well on pavement is (I drive from MA to CO round trip once a year) It would be nice to have some lateral stability - Something I lacked with my Baja Claws. I'm buying these tires tomorrow, so let the countdown begin!

You guys have T-Minus 17 HOURS /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif (Start Time 3:00 Pm MST 5/10/04

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Goodyear MT-R

3. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

BFG Mud Terrains /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    [​IMG]

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

iroks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would second the vote on BFG Mud-Terrains. They are the lowest cost highest quality tires for the money. You have not said what type of rims you have, but if they are steel, then you should check to make sure they are not bent; and if they are alloy aluminums, then they are probably OK because alloy aluminum rims crack before they bend.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Why not borrow a set for 15 minutes or so from someone else? Buying new tires is a pretty expensive long-shot at fixing your DW. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If you're running 8-lugs, I've got a set of 35x15x12.50 BFG Muds on 15x10's you could bolt on to try out. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

FWIW I have had my 33x12.5 BFG Muds on two different vehicles (same tires) for about four years now and I've really really liked them. I have no idea how many miles (do imagine quite a few) but they are finally gettin to the point that some time in the not to terribly distant future I'm gonna have to get some new ones.

Anywhos they do pretty well in the rocks, well the ones that Ole Wimpy can handle anyway, and I really like the road manners.

Good luck to y'all in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Allan

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I've been riding on Mtr's for the past 2years and I am very happy with them. They have good street qualities and are very quiet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

MICKEYS!!
    i love the MTBC!
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. B_to_C

15 inch steel rims, 6 lug...Thanks for the offer though!...A picture is worth a thousand words, I'll take a pic of my Claws so you guys will realize that i'm not just throwing money away...be back in a bit.

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BFG Mud Terrains /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

gotta love the wearing on these....

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    noise is not an issue, but wearing well on pavement is

[/ QUOTE ] Ground Hawg 2's. Ground Hawg's wear like iron.

13. B_to_C

Here are some pics just in case you guys thought I didn't really NEED new tires anyways (I was just going to wait until I had the money instead of going further into debt)...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And I can't resist showing off my new Tie-Rod /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    [​IMG]

14. 1-ton

Did that suspension shop, you took your truck to and spent $500, say anything to you about the poor condition of your tires? If it where my shop, I would have turned you away, and said "come back when you have safe tires on your truck." It is just a matter of principle and good business sense to tell a customer that tires, as worn out as yours, are going to cause serious handling problems. DUH!

I know this is going to be "ragging on you", but how can you post a problem about Death Wobble, and have everybody go through a whole litany of different problems, only to show us you have totally thrashed tires? Didn't the condition of your tires raise even the slightest suspicion in your mind that they could be the problem? /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

15. B_to_C

Yes, 1-ton...Everyone I've talked to about my truck for the past couple months, I've had discussions about the tires with. I also didn't mean to be wasting anybodys time asking about my DW. The reason I didn't think it was specifically the tires is bc it started right after a trail run, so i figured I blew a tie-rod end out or something... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif But believe me, I know those tires are worhtless... I've been keeping my eyes on the colorado4x4.org for sale section for the last couple months looking for some used 35's i could put on for the time being. With no such luck. Then this happens, and I can't get to work bc it's too dangerous, so I need it fixed ASAP. So...yea, sorry I wasted your time

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Before you bolt on some BFG's make sure you fix that crappy wear pattern...

17. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Before you bolt on some BFG's make sure you fix that crappy wear pattern...

[/ QUOTE ]

He's had almost everything in the front end replaced already, I think with a stabilizer and new tires he'll be golden /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Hey B to C.....I'd say MFG Muds or MTR's as well, whatever you can kind with the best warranty and price.

Good luck man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Go BOGGERS /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

j/k use the MT/R's or /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. 1-ton

That's OK, but I would be wary of that suspension shop you took your truck to. It is illegal to do alignments on a vehicle with tires as worn out as yours. For a shop to accept $500 dollars from you without insisting you put a safe set of tires on first, is unscrupulous. I would hazard to bet those guys at that shop where laughing at you behind your back while you where handing them your hard earned cash.

I should know because I have spent a lot of years as a mechanic, and some of those years where at good shops where we would have either tried to sell you a set of tires first, or insisted on a safe set of tires before we started the work. I have also worked at some "hack" shops, and have seen how they laugh at people behind their backs while accepting money for work they should not have been doing in the first place. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

20. B_to_C

[ QUOTE ]
    and have seen how they laugh at people behind their backs while accepting money for work they should not have been doing in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

-I've seen this happen too. It just really sucks being brand new in a town ya know? don't know who will rip you off, and who will treat you right. And even after having a 10 minute convo with the mechanic about off-roading, what trails he does, what I did back East etc. I was positive I was getting ripped as soon as the guy who called me up ended with "Ok, see ya soon buddy." -the buddy is a sure tip-off (to me) that they were laughing behind my back...buuuut I'm not that big a guy, so no vigalante style stuff...