Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

YOU CAN PUT 15" BEAD LOCKS ON A 1 TON

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by imaginepro, Jun 12, 2004.

1. imaginepro

imaginepro Registered Member

YOU CAN PUT 15\" BEAD LOCKS ON A 1 TON

Well first I have to give you some back ground info. I got my Blazer about a year and a half ago for 300 bucks. The body was perfect no rust frame was good no prob the only thing wrong was the motor was guttluss. Turns out it had a bad cylinder but any way so I put a 4" rough country lift on it springs up front and blocks in the rear. With my lift I bought 33 12.5 BFG MT on a 15" Rim so It was ok. Well about 2 months later my motor blew up. so to bring u up to present I put a new motor in and all that stuff. it was about an 8 month prosses just beacuse of money and I was still in school so was really bussy. Finally got the dumb thing running and two weeks later found out my rear axle is all messed up I just had a weak 10B so It has been about 4 months now sence then so over a year sence I have had the joy of my truck. I got a 14BFF and DANA 44 1ton and cleanded painted them all that stuff. Well sence they are 8 lug I need new rims. Well I figured now is as good a time as any to get some allied Rock A thon bead locks. now rember those BFG's I bought they are brand new literly have nubs still on the tred and money was tight so I was going to use the same tires for now save some money. So I order some 15X10" Rock A Thon Bead Locks 8 on 6.5 pattern. They came and my friend took them to the trie shop he works at to mount them for me. But then he calls me and says we have a big pro /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Come to find out my great BFG's have a bead lock gard or something that wont led the locking ring go down. So I had to get new tires. So now why didn't I buy 17X10 Bead Locks like I want. Well any way I ended up gitting some 35 12.5 MT BIG O tires that worked awsome so now I have Bead locks and 35's the set up I wanted and didn't have the money for but had no chose need my truck. So get them mounted and let me tell you 128 bolts 32 per wheel is a hell of a lot. Took them home where my truck was and started putting them on. they went on the 14B just fine no probs. But then came the DANA 44 and I knew and was told to fit a 15" rim on a 1 ton you need to do some grinding but nothing much. Well I will tell you There is a lot of grinding to be done you have to grind the hell out of you backing plates but this dose work and your tires do spin free. Well for right now I don't think I will be changing tires for a while. But it can be done. and now I have my truck back for the first time in a year or so. And it is awsome. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Re: YOU CAN PUT 15\" BEAD LOCKS ON A 1 TON

dana 44 isnt one ton. from what i've read here i think you should be able to fit them on the 44 with no problem

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm glad to hear you've got your rig up and running again. But unfortunately if you have a Dana 44 front axle you only have 3/4 ton running gear. The 14 bolt full floating rear axle is essentially 1 ton, but if the spring perches and shock mounts lined up without a problem it is a 3/4 ton axle. I agree with the grinding required on the backing plates though, it's a heck of a lot /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif It's a good thing the calipers clear fairly well. I wasn't even going to attempt clearing 15" wheels on my Dana 60 (1 ton) front axle so I just went with some 16.5's and I'll be adding bead lock rings to those in a few months. Anyways, I hope you like the new tires and wheels /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A Dana 44 is not 1 ton.

5. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Ditto... and yes, you are definetly 3/4 ton.

GM CORPORATE 14-BOLT 3/4 Ton
    The "small" GM 14-bolt has a 9 1/2-inch ring gear diameter. It was used in the rear of 1964-and-later GM pickups, and in the rear of 1984-91 3/4-ton Suburbans.

GM CORPORATE 14-BOLT 1 TON
    With a 10 1/2-inch-diameter ring gear, the biggest 14-bolt GM rearend looks much like a Dana 70, and is but a few thousandths of an inch shorter in ring gear diameter. This axle is commonly used with big engines and/or overly large tires. It was used under 1973-87 3/4-tons.

there ya have it, sorry man /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Rob

6. uglychevyZZ4

p.s. your sig line.. its..uh...you mispelled "wheeled" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Im just fulla bad news arent I /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    p.s. your sig line.. its..uh...you mispelled "wheeled" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Im just fulla bad news arent I /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This coming out of a person that can't spell "definitely" or "misspelled"?

Anyway, congratulations on the beadlocks. Which 17" beadlocks were you going to buy and where from? I might be in the market for 17" beadlocks.

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, there's a lot of grinding huh? I put a 8 lug 10 bolt under the front of the Jimmy with 15" wheels and had to grind and grind, thought it would never end /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Is the 14 bolt rear a semi float or full float? The D44 and 10 Bolt front are very similar in strength, they were used in 1/2 and 3/4 ton models, D60 was used up front in 1 ton models /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    GM CORPORATE 14-BOLT 3/4 Ton
    The "small" GM 14-bolt has a 9 1/2-inch ring gear diameter. It was used in the rear of 1964-and-later GM pickups, and in the rear of 1984-91 3/4-ton Suburbans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does this info come from? It's all over the 'Net and its wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

It didn't exist until '81 and replaced the 14FF as the 'standard' rear end for 3/4-tons from then onward.

The 3/4-ton 14FF gets REALLY scarce in the 80's. Only big-block trucks have them.

10. uglychevyZZ4

it comes from the ck5 tech page, youll find the link in the upper right hand corner, it may not be perfect but its close, at least gives him an idea that it isnt a 1 ton.
    cybersnyper, i never said i could spell, i just noticed it was in his sig, that kinda follows us around that sig line under us /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif definItly wasnt picking on him, just thought he might want to know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

SF or FF is dependent on the GVWR, not the engine size.

12. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

14FF came on 3/4 tons, and still does, now with disc brakes.

The 15" rims will clear the rear drums, but it will not clear the disc brake conversion, atleast not with the 3/4 ton front rotors and caddy calipers. I just couldn't bring myself to grind a brand new pair of $300 calipers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Glad to hear you got your truck back on the road, mine was down for almost a year and a half. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    SF or FF is dependent on the GVWR, not the engine size.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not, you could put two 8,600 lb GVWR trucks next to each other, one with a 350, the other with a 454, guaranteed that the big block truck has a FF and the other an SF if they're 82-up models.

14. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This coming out of a person that can't spell "definitely" or "misspelled"?

Anyway, congratulations on the beadlocks. Which 17" beadlocks were you going to buy and where from? I might be in the market for 17" beadlocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I get more laughs on this site than at a Rodney Dangerfield show.

You guy's are the best. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

( I hope I spelled everthing right.)

15. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Then they put the FF under the 3/4tons with manual trannys, cause my dads has the 350 and a FF. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Then they put the FF under the 3/4tons with manual trannys, cause my dads has the 350 and a FF. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I also have a camper special... 8400gvw and got 1... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

17. imaginepro

imaginepro Registered Member

yes you are right they a 3/4 ton and it is a 14BFF set up. If I went with 17" bead locks I would have prob went with Rock A Thons I wanted Trial Readys but they are just to damn much.