Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You gotta read this question....need some starting help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Sep 28, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

ok, hear is the deal. I dropped another engine into my 69 k5. The problem is I can't get power to the
    dash unless I am cranking the engine. The starter is good etc, but what the hell. No headlights(unless I'm cranking),
    no dash lights, I've tested the fuse box and its not getting any power.
    ??Did I wire the starter wrong?? Also, no power to the distributor(no spark). I hooked up two wires to starter, one(thick) to main post, and a second to the "recessed" smaller post(sits lower than the other small post).

Suggestions, help?

2. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

There should be a wire going from the battery to the fuse box. Usually it runs across the core support to the headlight relay and a relay/junction box, then to the firewall and fuse block to power the truck. Another way it may be wired is from your battery to your starter then a thick wire up to the fuse box. Check the wiring diagram for more details.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have the main wire from the fuse panel/distribution block on the wrong terminal of the starter. This wire will usually have a fusable link on it.

It sounds like you have this wire connected to the terminal on the solenoid that powers the motor of the starter. Hence only having things work when cranking..

My .02,
    John