Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You guys always get me thinking.....Poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Oct 1, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

and its not good!!! I have an '81 K5 that has some 33" Geolander A/Ts on it and I have kind of hit a limit of how far it will go offroad. I'm wondering if its worth it to weld up the front or rear diff to gain some extra traction. Keep in mind its a 10b front and 12b rear. Also, where I live there is ALOT of snow in the winter and I think it would drastically improve the snow performance along with the more A/T's I put on this summer.
    So what do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I voted "D" but really my choice would be either "C" or "D" depending on what you can afford to do with it.

I've played the welded front end game and I wouldn't do it again - ever! It was nice having the locked front end until I needed to turn because it would not.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yeah that would be a real PITA with auto hubs because you'd have to back up forever before you could turn..... hmmmm

4. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

I find it hard to drive in the snow with a locker. your always sliding sideways so you got lock it in, even when you really dont need to. In short you have to put it in 4wheel (if your front dif is open) in order to keep the back end from sliding around. Just my .02

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

You would really hate either welded on the street. A "lunch box" locker in the rear would probably be the best bet.

John

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My daily driver has a rear locker and I find it gives me MORE control in the snow, not less.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well I think I could really use the advantage of having a rear locker. Where I come from, there is snow about 6 months of the year. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif I would probably run it alot in 4hi especially if I was going out in the country to get my gf etc. Can anyone suggest a good locker/posi?

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

9. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

A thousand years ago, when i ice raced my binder, one of the better setups that worked for me was a 'sloppy posi'... not tooo tight; not tooo loose! Ice is a bit different than snow, but havin' em locked means BOTH tires spinning and less lateral grip! The loose posi reduced that factor a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif