Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You guys are probably going to hate me for even asking about this...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by C10Jon, Oct 27, 2002.

1. C10Jon

C10Jon Registered Member

I just bought my rig, a 72 Chevy C-10 for $100. It looks like crap, but after putting the timing chain back on it, it runs like a champ. Anyways, I need atleast 6" of lift by next Sunday for a run. Me and my friends have a $50 budget for lifting the beast. Unfortuately, I cant find any DPA's around here. I know this sounds like a crazy idea, but one of my friends came up with the idea of using some iron pipe with the exact same inside diameter as the outside diameter of the output shaft on the steering box, and welding it to the top of the original pitman arm. What do guys(and maybe gals) think? Would it last?

Oh, and I like the "Graemlins" you guys have on this board! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hell noooooooo, don't do that!!!! Keep the drag link in a bind. Think of the worst case scenrio, weld breaks, you don't have steering, freeway, 75mph......... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif 6 inches of lift and a stock pitman arm wouldn't have a critical impact over a short period til you found the right one you need. Not trying to trash you or anything. I' would've done the same thing years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

DO NOT DO THAT !!!!!!!!!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds sucidal to me. There are 2 places to NEVER skimp on any vehicle. Steering and brakes. Failure of either could result in your death.

Is this truck a 2WD? A C10 is 2WD, while a K10 is 4WD. If it is a 4WD then you can buy a new steering arm that has 4 inches of rise built into it for about $60. You might even find a used one for less. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif While not perfect, it would be good enough to at least let you drive the truck.

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I think you need a bigger budget... Or is this some kind of junkyard war thing with a maximum spending limit?

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a 3" body lift is all you can do with that kind of jack.

and your pals might have it out for you if they are suggesting this kind of mod, i wouldn't drink anything they handed me for a while /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Hell why not. and while your at it just put some 6" blocks front and rear to get your lift. You could make them out of wood and really save yourself some cash.
    You'll need to save all the money you can for your casket. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Since we know nothing about you and you have a 2wd truck. I'll get right to the point. DO IT, THATS THE BEST IDEA EVER! Then take some pictures of it so we have something to show what NOT to do. sheesh! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Why don't you fill in your profile if your going to stick around, and get some common sence.

9. C10Jon

C10Jon Registered Member

It says C-10 on both front fenders, but it has a transfer case mated to the transmission, a driveshaft running to the front, and a solid front axle. We have driven it around in the mud, and all four tires sling mud, so it is a 4WD. Maybe they put C10 fenders on it. Were going to the salvage yard today to look on some heavy duty Chevies for DPA's. If all else fails, were going to weld some skid plates to the bottom of it. Maybe a dropped draglink would work?

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Since it's 4WD, then it's really a K10. Sounds like someone swapped out the front clip on it. C was Chevy's deignation for 2WD trucks, and K was for 4WD. While you're at the yard, look for lifted trucks. One of them may have a raised steering arm on it that you can snag cheap. The stock arm curves down towards the axle housing, while the raised ones curve up and away from it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif They can be a real bear to remove, but it'll do what you need. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

Re: You guys are probably going to me for even asking about this...

just take a few hockey pucks and use them for the lift and definately try and find the right pitmon arm and stuff for the steering

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

hockey pucks??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> He must mean to use the hockey pucks for a body lift, and that's a bad idea too. They'll most likely split pretty quickly. Not like a regular body lift isn't dirt cheap anyways.</font color>

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

obviously you need a steering arm such as this one. It can be fabbed at home for little or no money and looks great!

http://128.83.80.200/taco/scary6.jpg

As the following pics prove, you can be really creative when you set your mind to it!
    http://128.83.80.200/taco/scary2.jpg
    home.earthlink.net/~riverbeast/steering_files/image020.jpg
    http://home.earthlink.net/~riverbeast/steering_files/image004.jpg
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&amp;postid=904602

OR...you could just take out that gun and shoot yourself right now. Don't be a moron and skimp on safety...Take some physics and design classes and find out why things are done the way they are! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

16. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Notice how they paint everything yellow so you can see the dangerous parts easier. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

17. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I think that this is the setup that Daryl and his brother Daryl made for their truck:

[​IMG]

YEEEEE HAAAAAAA!

18. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Here's your Sign!

19. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I've seen hockey pucks used in place of lift blocks! Saw a truck once with like 6 stacked up. Don't remember if it was in the rear or the front though- probably both!