Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

you guys gotta check this out!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HispanicPanic, Sep 1, 2001.

1. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/01august/denali.asp>http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/01august/denali.asp</a>

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have to say I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand its a cool idea...
    On the other hand its crap like this that makes new trucks so friggin expensive...full leather, killer sound system, Onstar spy on the customer system, etc.,etc., and soon a new truck will cost more than your house![​IMG]

I'd prefer to see a basic solid axle truck again!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

That's where you really have to hand it to Dodge and Ford. They listened to the traditional truck buyers and kept straight axles in the lineup - except Daimler Benz is redesigning the Ram to be an A-arm/torsion bar setup now.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

i would have to agree with you (tRusty) on that but its still a cool idea the only thing is i feel real sorry the guy who buys that truck and then having your warranty run out oh man will that person be screwed, can you imagen working on that thing ouch$$$$$$$$$$$

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

yet another aftermarket blessing. correction parts for GMs dumb ideas like Eventualtrac and 4wsteering removal devices.

7. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

only ford will have a solid axel after 2002...

350, sm465, NP205, 14 Bolt w/Detroit locker(465 ratio), Dana 60 465, 38.5 swampers

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree with TRusty... man I'm becoming the out of date and old fashioned old fart more and more lately. Cripes all I have to do is use the terms "you young punks" and "back in my day..." in a sentence and I think I passed secret anniciation (sp?) [​IMG], Surlry senility will be right around the corner [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

9. jsck5

jsck5 Registered Member

hey you gota stay with the times. but you gota admit that truck it will be cool as hell when someone lifts it with 40"s to go along with the 4wheel steering.

Oh yeah, if you think thats bad wait untill someone tries to modify the new Trialblazers with the driveshaft going thru the oilpan.

10. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Well, There is a reason why it is on a GMC Denalli, becuase it will be lucky to ever even see a gravle drive way. The four wheel stearing helps rich folks to manuever there luxery trucks through back allys andparking decks of big citys. Its an awsome option for a truck, but the only folks who need it, are those who can actualy afford, so it is fiting. Other notes, cant you only get a solid axle ford in 250 and 350... I may be wrong, but they dont make great trail rigs, to big..., and dodge is getting rid of there stright axle all togeather in 2002, again, if I am not mistaken, however, there is a glimmer of hope at GM, I belieave they are coming out with a straight axle again, in 2002 or 3, however, much like ford, I think it will only be available on 2500 and 3500 HDs.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

11. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I think this is a great idea. The Denail or C3 as its called now was AWD anyway (isnt that expensixe to fox ro work on??)

Yeah these trucks are expensive but so is a brand new base model pickup, depending on who you are.

Ben
    85 K5 (me)
    91 Sub (Dad)
    90 K5 (Me & Dad)
    95 Sub (Mom)
    96 Tahoe (girlfriend)

12. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

I thought about putting 4-wheel steering on my 83 blazer, but...I changed my mind. Too much $$$ and, living on a military installation, I don;t have a good place to work on it at. Besides, there aren't too many GM's in the junk yards around here.

13. rear-steer? that means extra u-joints! no thankyou!

greg

14. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Turning radius of a mid/small sized car (37 somthin feet), come on' guys, that rocks.
    Anyone who drives a ext-cab long bed around much can tell ya, its not fun parking them. Short beds are better, but not by much. AND I think they are on par with our beloved solid axles as far as the crapy turning radius id consirend.

I would suspect (but I'm not sure -yet-) That with the added GVW and larger ring gear, that G.M. will have a steering U-joint to match. (gawd, I hope they don't use a C/V joint! -doubt it, but...)

I'll tell ya right now, If I had a 9.75" rear axle w/rear steer (full floater- as a bonus), disk brakes, 4:10 gears and a locker.-It'd be swaped into my Jimmy in a hart beat, maybe two beats, but I'd get it in there somehow!

Sometimes life just makes you want to say,
    "F*bleeeeeeeeeep*K !"

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

15. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

imagine hitting a curb or a rock and throwing off the whole alignment. thats gonna look funny driving down the road.

"If it is breakable, IT will break. If it is indestructable, I will find a way to make it breakable, and I will break it."--Knife

16. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Re: Mr Yuppie engineer

Or at worst imagine that thing going south, say somewhere in the middle of the Lions back or on a steep descent on gravel....no thank you Mr Yuppie engineer....the other post who said it was designed for the rich may have had a point, until you consider they wouldn't know how to use it!! My Mother (God Bless her) bought a Buick Ultra with a supercharged engine and more gizmoes than the space shuttle...she still after 5 years cannot work all the buttons....but she DOES understand the floorboard and thottle do mean sh-t and git!

my 2 Lincolns worth
    Veni Sancte Spiritus
    Da Pacem Cordium
    White Knight

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

4 wheel steering!??! LOL, I'd be happy to be able to steer just the front wheels after the suspension starts to droop. =p

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

18. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Dodge 3/4 and 1 tons will keep the solid axle when the new ones come out as 2003s. Just the 1/2 tons are IFS.

While I do have reliability concerns about the rear steer, I do think it would be nice to not have to back my extended cab long box into every parking space I use.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The sad part is, people (who buy new trucks), wanted IFS trucks, so GM produced them and people bought them. If people didn't buy them, GM wouldn't make them.
    People bit#h that GM doesn't make solid front axle trucks anymore, but most of the soccer mom and dads who have the 40,000 to buy trucks don't need solid fronts anyway. If we (those who want solid front ends), were to lobby AND BUY new trucks with solid front ends. GM would probably reconsider. The only problem is I hear alot of people on here complaining about not wanting to buy the new IFS trucks because they don't have a solid front, but yet they bit#h about spending $100 bucks because they don't have the money (how in the heck can you afford to buy a new truck, if you can't afford $100 bucks)? I know this isn't true in all cases (especially for the commercial duty guys who plow), but the market (at least for GM) is ride quality and manuverability (now offering 4 wheel steering), as opposed to off-road capability. How many people buy a $40,000 rig to use it as a trail rig? Even most members on here, their rigs weren't bought for the same use, we use them now. They were bought as grocery getters, camping vehicles etc. If they were bought with the intention of using them as we do, they would have all been equiped with K30 thickness frames, NP205/203 doublers, Dana 60's, and 14 FF's. Now to get off my soap-box.........if the market for IFS was smaller than the market for Solid front ends, then GM would still be solid with maybe a model or two with IFS (or at least as an option), but that is not the majority of the market. Look at Dodge, they are getting rid of the solid axle in the half tons and soon to follow 3/4 tons. There is even talk that Ford is not far behind. Soon only 1 tons with have a solid axle in Ford and Dodge, and if GM 1 tons sales stay where they are (because lots of people are buying them even for plowing), you may see Dodge and Ford follow. Just something to think about.

For those looking for Stock suggestions. I would invest in ORU (for all the solid axle conversion kits that will be wanted in the future[​IMG])

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Just one more thing to go wrong and jack the price up!!!!!!!

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>