Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You guys who play in SAND are F'ing CRAZY!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Jul 12, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

You guys who play in SAND are F\'ing CRAZY!

Made my first wheeling trip a few months ago. My blazer's maiden voyage under my command. Played on the dunes, jumped the dunes had a great time. Now two months later the sand that seems to never wash off found its way into my front axle bearings, chewed them and my spindle up. I had just repacked them and replaced the seals on the hubs now its all crapped out! Also got new leaks front freshly replaced axle seals and the t-case, got a feeling its all from the F'in SAND! You people who spend weekends in the dunes and constantly play in the sand are CRAZY! Never again under playing conditions will I venture in the sand! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Rather than buying brand new spindles should I find some used ones off a ten bolt being parted out or cough up the probable $150 per side?(just guessing about to look up prices...)

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: You guys who play in SAND are F\'ing CRAZY!

Hmmmmmmmm........... If you think people who play in the sand are crazy /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Then those of us who play on the rocks and in the mud must be.... Stark raving mad.............. Bahhhhh ha ha ha ah !!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Just pick up some used spindles from a bone yard. But dont take my word for it . I'm F'n nuts. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

[​IMG]

This is where I play in the sand. I'd love to have a Blazer Fest here.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a pair of 10bolt spindles in excellent condition. PM me for the price, they are way cheaper than $150. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I do and always have played in the mud and muddy water all day long and rarely had much to do besides wash the mud off...I always use marine grease because my blazer is constantly in the water... gotten buried my fair share of times and always just brought the truck home rinsed really well maybe poped the drums off to spray the mud out and back to daily driving. This is down right the sloppiest of slop too! Swamp Mud / Mississippi River Mud / Crawfish Pond Mud!! I mean just stuff that seams like the mud and water combined would tear the SH^# out of things but cleans up fairly easily with a hose. This sand doesn't come off with a pressurewasher, brake cleaner, the normal mud maintainence.

Yes you rock guys are more BRUTAL on parts in single runs!

Just pisses me off get buried once in sand, caught in a sand storm on the beach with 25+ winds sand blasting me and the truck and getting in every nook and cranny and now all this crap!

Starting to feel like my truck will be made of gold when I am through with it. Just getting frustrated, wanted to vent and giving insight to others if they are thinking about playing with the sand man.
    /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

LOL Yeah! Sand seems to get everywhere. It will shure chew up seals in a hurry. A weekend playing in the sand usually means. I'm gonna spend some time working on my truck/ bike/sandrail afterwards.

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

y9u can get spindles off a 10 or d44 axle, even a jeep dana 44 will work (a full size jeep)

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah vegas is full of sand nuts... my old high school is full of em too. everybody's like scott, come out to dumont dunes with us for the weekend! and i'm like hell no a suburban with 36x12.50-16.5 TSLs is not the best sand combo. i can't go below 20psi and my truck weighs over 6000lbs. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I play in the sand at least 3-6 weekends a year and have never had any problems with it invading any seals... You said you replaced your seals before the trip, so that's not it. Pretty wierd, maybe me and my freinds have been lucky, or maybe the sand in Louisiana is just a lot finer than at Pismo. The stuff out here hoses right off, so there's a difference right there. Sorry to hear that it tore your truck up, I think sand is a blast to play in. </font color>

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I am in the sand at least 3 - 4 times a week and don't have any problems.

10. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

huh, I haven't had any problems with sand so far, and I wheel in it most weekends....actually, I like sand because your truck seems cleaner afterwards /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I play in the sand every chance I get, never a problem. One thing I will not take my truck in is mud! mud sux!

mike

12. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Mud, Rocks, Sand, or Snow, I play in at all /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I think somehting was wrong... I never get sand in anything besides my hair and the interior. Never. Bearings fine, axles fine, difs fine. Might want to cehck to see how it got in there.

Ken H.

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That's right. An hour in the sand and your tires look cleaner than new. Seems to take all the crud off the bottom of the truck. Then just wash it down and vacuum out the interior. As long as you keep the tranny cool and you don't have too many ponies for your drivetrain, you're not even very likely to break the truck.

15. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you need to do a lot to break in the sand, or else really unlucky or unmaintained.

Also, as you said... everything gets sandblazted and cleaned up. Its nice. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Ken H.

16. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

y are you guys sayin mud is so bad? thaz the fun stuff, whats bad about it, cept cleanup can get difficult if you let it dry.

17. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I did a competition in march which had a mud bog. I'm not doing any more mud unless I absolutely have to! It gets everywhere and in every thing! I'm still washing some out! It gets EVERYWHERE!!!
    On trails or rocks, you may or may not have carnage, and you may or may not have to wash it and repack bearings (which you should do after any play in water/mud). But in the mud, you have a 4hr wash job ahead of you and lots and lots of lubing and repacking...yuck! I'd rather spend my time on mods /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Why bother to wash it off?! After a good romp through the muck I stop by the local powerwashing facitlies and just blast the belly of the K5 to get the crap off the driveshafts, knuckles, skidplates, etc, takes about 5 min and 75 cents.......

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Agreed. Mud sucks. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Sand is awesome, and it doesn't seem to mess anything up..........been wheeling sand on and off for 15 years with no chewed seals or anything.

20. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I got kicked out of the local car wash spraying my truck down. Can't blame him though, I had no idea that a foot of mud would fall off the perimiter of the truck and from under the belly. Now I just find as many puddles on the side of the road as I can on the way home, sorta pre wash it a bit!