Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

you guys with hydro and histeer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TorkDSR, Apr 2, 2005.

1. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

what are the effects of the 8" travel ram on a 5" travel tierod?
    i saw the picks of the internal spacers... is that really necessary?
    thanks

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes, if you pit hydraulic pressure against mechanical parts, hydraulic pressure wins. You need to limit ram travel to 5" if that's all the further your tie rod travels.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

The hydraulics will either rip the stops off, blow a line, or burn up your pump trying. You have to limit it.

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

how will limiting the ram internally keep it from blowing lines, or burning up the pump??

wheather it's limited internally or by the stops, why would it matter in those instances??

5. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I am doing the hydro assist on my rig soon too, so it looks like a 6" ram is suffice then and don't need an 8"? I have been pondering this for awhile. I guess it would still need some kind of limit though right?

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You have to limit the ram from traveling not limit the part it is pushing on.
    If you let the ram have pressure and you are relying on your steering stops the ram will litterally push through the stops and break sh$t.
    If you limit the ram it can no over travel the limits inside of it and will thus not hurt things.

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Thank you!! Thats what I wanted to know in my post.
    So if I have 8.5" of tie rod travel, it'd be best to down size the stroke of my ram (9") to 8, so that the ram is the limiting factor/stop.

8. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

limit the ram to 8.5" travel if that is how much travel your tie rod goes thru. Being off by a 1/16" is not going to f things up.

Ram should hit max travel right at or just before you hit your steering stops. If the ram wnats to travel just a hair more after contacting the stops that sorta ok.

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

So all of these people running an 8" ram...is it that you only have 8" of tie rod travel, or is it that an 8" ram was all you could get?
    Wondering why mine would be 8.5" when most people run 8" ram...or do they adjust the steering stops out?

10. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

You may have your steering stops set too far in. Try turning your tire with the hubs locked and at full lock. If it feel like they are binding then you need to adjust you steering stops out untill it no longer binds. If they bind you will break them REALLY quick. I have 8" travel on mine at the original mounting point.