Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

you know I'm all for saftey

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Dec 7, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

but man some stuff is just stupid
    discovery channel right now thay are lifting a 100ton excavator bucket into place and everyone has to wear a hard hat
    Yep that hard hat is sure to protect you from the 100 ton bucket, you bet, no worries:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I suppose you're also against the big sticker on our Ford's fuel door that say's DIESEL FUEL ONLY aren't ya?

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

One of the guys that works for me had his wife call him in histarics (sp?) cause the gas station she stopped at was filling the 87 storage tank and she could not use it. She was told by the clerk that you can not mix fuel and she interpereted that as you can not mix 87 with 91 octane:haha: . We all got quite a chuckle out of that one.

Ira

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yes and by law now a pair of long legged pants( you know the knind that make it impossible to climb around on roofs and walls)will stopp and protect you from a skill saw blade...:crazy: That was when i quit the biz, I needed an excuse , my body was shot anyhow...

5. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Registered Member

Saftey is for sissies, :eek1:

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya when you are retro fitting a new furnace in the attic of an old ass house in the summer
    pants lick balls
    so flipping hot
    my boss owns his company so i can wear pretty much what ever i want:D

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Safety equiptment is ****ing awesome

You just have to have the right syle

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Bolts n shit hurt when they hit your head.

9. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

There are certain saftey guidelines that seem stupid. However, working up and around the hydro lines, and hearing about some of the stories as to why the guidelines are in place, make you think about why you have to wear the hard hat or steal toed boots.

That being said, there are also retarded guidelines like you say, doing roofing in long pants, or my personal favorite for our work is we have to set up a perimiter of cones around our van where we are putting up the ladder and position our trucks so that no vehicle can get by. Now by the time all that is done, you have done 10 minutes of work for a 30 second job.

10. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

the cone deal, our local phone company service techs put out the cones even in a private driveway. I can understand when they are parked on the side of the road, but in a private driveway?????

and the hard hats, one pickle company I worked at wanted anyone in the tank yard to wear bump caps, especially when in the bottom of a tank. it's not like an 8' 4x4 soaking wet is going to go thru that bump cap:rolleyes: , but it'll break your f'in neck!

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

anyone buy a new hammer lately? I just love the sticker that tells me to wear goggles when using it.
    Am I the only person that makes a mess trying to pour gas out of an OSHA approved gas can?
    Another of my favorites; the newer lawnmowers with the pull cord that goes all the way up the handle. Hell, I can't pull that damn cord hard enough to start it, while squeezing the kill bar.
    Ever notice that the cheapie circular saws have safeties on their triggers, while the pro models don't?????

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya stupid "safe" gas can, more gas on the ground than in the tank:mad:
    that **** aint cheap
    damn gas can cost's 15 buck's to

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Safety squint. I think of a hardhat as something to keep me from bonking my head

14. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Guy lost the tip of his finger a while back due to a door closing on him (door was closed with about 3000 PSI of hydro pressure). Seen plenty of photos of other guys ripped to pieces from hydro at pressure. Scary ****.

Safety regulations are in place for a good reason, though. My 'almost' stories:

1) Nearly fell off a wingtip (~20 feet) but caught by a lifeline.
    2) Almost diced in half by a chunk of hot titanium, avoided by not being in the 'plane of rotation' markings
    3) Had several 100+ lb pieces of equipment, parts, whatnot dropped on my foot. Quite a few steel toe boots later now.
    4) Prevented several disasters during refueling by posting as a 'fireguard' -- watching the jet for fuel leaks. If I spot a fuel leak, I give a signal, shut off the external power generator, and we run like hell.
    5) Been in several confined spaces, and had there not been a lockout/tagout procedure, would have easily been crushed by some unknowing person.

Some warning labels and cautions are indeed stupid and silly, but many rules and whatnot are there for good reason.

15. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

You wanna see the reasons why all these safety rules are in place? Check this site out:

http://www.msha.gov/fatals/fabm2005.asp

Now some of us of course don't work in the mining industry, but plenty of horror stories here of people getting crushed, diced up, eviscerated, etc., due to either inadequate on-site rules/procedures, or in some cases, negligence on the individual employees' part. Pertaining to 'why we wear hard hats' specifically, there's this instance, from May of this year:

http://www.msha.gov/FATALS/2005/FAB05m17.asp

Here, a ratchet with a pipe-fabbed extension was left mistakenly on a bolt for a drive pulley. Machine was started up for a test, and the pipe and ratchet spun with the pulley, smacking somebody in the head who wasn't wearing a hard hat.

16. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Here's another site. http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/toc_FatalFacts.html

There are a lot of reasons for some of the safety rules. I just think that some of them were thought up by a monkey. But is is very sad when someone dies because they think they don't need to use a safety item.

Some things are silly, but some things aren't and sometimes you can't tell until the damage is done.

17. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I watched that show also. When they were in the shop, they did not have to wear a hard hat though.

18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I work for a Workers' Comp company. The accidents that we see defy reality. Some of the regs are definately a good idea.

Of course, our adjusters and field inspectors would have everyone in so much saaftey gear that they would look like the michelin man. And then everyone would have to sit very still, out of reach of anything that may do them harm, all day.

19. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

In my job they have quite a few safety guidelines. I'm POL in the Air Force. All fuel meant for gov't use that comes on base goes through us. One of our things is wearing goggles, rubber apron and rubber gloves anytime we are messing with open fuel.

One example of an irony in this is that we have to have that stuff on to dump Jet fuel into a 400gl. bowser out of a 5 gallon can, but we don't have to have it to pour gasoline into our snowblowers, or our gas powered pump from the same size can. They have gone way overboard on a lot of our safety stuff in my opinion. :D

Rick

20. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

You bet, then they would have to go under the knife for carple tunnel for restriction of joint movement.:eek1:

BTW, my hardhard is my friend. I'v banged my head on so much chit that by all rights I should be my favorite vegetable by now.