Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You know what pisses me off?!?!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Dec 19, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

The local 4x4 shop (the only one we have within a couple hours drive). The guy who owns it rips everybody off. He sells factory blemished tires for more than you can get from any online retailer. And he claims he has the best built trucks around. Probably cause he has the only built trucks around. He built a K5 not long ago. It was a 1987 body in execellent shape, looked real good on the outside (nerfbars, brushguard, diamond plate) that kind of stuff. He sold it with 39" Mickey Thompsons, 6" suspension, 3" body. STOCK 10 Bolts with 3.42 gears. TH700R4, and stock 350. HE SOLD THE THING FOR LIKE $10,000. Yes it looks good, but he just suckered some big money out of someone. Anyway, the way I know they are factory blemished is my friend had a set of 33x14.50 mickey T's and he ended up selling them to someone else. So he took them to a tire shop to have them seperated from the wheels, and the guy said they were 2nd rate tires, because the sidewall was too thin. He asked my friend where he bought them from, and when he told him, the guy said he gets a TON of tires with the same problem from this store only.

I understand you gotta do a price markup, but selling defected tires??? You would think the company that manufactures them wouldn't even sell them. I also bought my old set of Thornbirds from him, Now I'm wondering if they were the same way. Well I just found out about it, and it really ticked me off, so I felt like getting it off my chest.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

That is one way to get customers to return! Geeze, and people keep going back to this guy?(or maybe that dont know?)
    A 4x4 shop is there for the local 4x4 community, to help them prosper and learn how to build a 4x4 in a way and safe manner, not to see how much cash they can screw out of every customer! I mena they have to make money to stay in business, but ............

I dont know I am just rambling because people like this guy who sells things and doesn't tell people the truth about them really pisses me off!

Sorry for venting!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Thats the way I see it, and I know he doesn't care, because he builds the yuppie 4x4's. I doubt his wheeled a day in his life. But really it's the closest thing around to get any stuff like that, which is why I shop the internet. I pulled in there one day cause I saw another blazer sitting out front, I wen't in and talked to the father/son who had the blazer, and told them before they buy anything from him, to consult this forrum. I haven't seen them on here, so I doubt they ever looked. They wanted to see about a 6" lift with 36" swampers. They were asking about the differen't lifts, and I overheard the owner tell them there is no difference between springs and blocks in the rear. My heart skipped a beat. I hung around till they left and talked to them in the parking lot but they did end up buying a lift and tires and pay him to install it all. I think I overheard him say 6" lift w/blocks (not sure what brand), shocks, wheels and tires came out to like $2700. I've seen the guy with the blazer since then, and looked at the work done. He didn't drop the T-Case, and he put the shims on backwards on the back axle.

This guy is in it purely for the money. And people don't know any better because he is the only thing around.

Oh yea, a friend had him install some new gears, after $300 an axle, 4 months later, they crapped out on him.

89 K5 Silverado

4. Emmettology 101

What a rip..... Where is this store located? So I know to stay away or maybe stop in(if I am in the area) just to hear the guy talk out of his a$$! LOL

Have you tried contacting the Better Business Bureau about this clown?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

The shops in Va, so it's really not too far away from you, but I diffenitley wouldn't waste a trip to come down here for this. And no I haven't called the BBB, because he probably does know enough to keep out of trouble, he just is so full of it.

Emmetology, do you by any chance hit the Carlisle truck show when it comes around? I'm up there every year.

89 K5 Silverado

6. Emmettology 101

Ya, VA is a little bit of a trip, but if I am in the area I would stop! :)

I was at Carlisle for the truck show a few years ago, but haven't gotten there since. I wouold like to go, but it always seems like I am to busy to get down there.. Maybe this year. When is it this year??

Mike [​IMG]

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree that there are 4x4 shops out there that really don't know anything but show trucks.

Concerning the tires though, I'm not trying to defend the shop or anything, but I don't know how somebody can just look at the tires and say the sidewall is too thin and that it's a blem?? A local tire shop sells a lot of blem tires for a good price, but all of the ones I have seen were stamped with a small "blem" somewhere on the sidewall. Also, most of the smaller shops can't compete with the prices of the large volume mail order shops.

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I understand what your saying 6.2, and there could have very well been a stamp on the inside or something to that effect. I wasn't with him when he had them seperated so I'm not sure. However I am saying I have done business with this guy before and I would not put it past him. I could be wrong about the tires, but I am diffenitely not wrong about what I heard him telling others.

89 K5 Silverado

9. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

there is a place around here (the only place around here)called Down East Offroad that is like the place you are talking about.

I when there to ask the guy about a roll cage and he did not seem to give a damn about me or my rollcage or the money I was thanking about spending there I mean this guy seem like he had a rod up his ass the size of Texas so I diced to leave and not come back then I started asking my wheelen buddys about there experenc with DEOR and they got the same feeling form the guys there that I got if you dont spend a cupel grand there they dont give a damn about you

me and my buds figered out that there trucks (Heeps) were build by yuppies for yuppies and never touch mud

and the time I went in there i looked thru there book of stuff they had done there was a K5 with a 6" lift a 35"s and in the caption it said 87 bronco and when I told the guy that it was a blazer he looked at me like I did not know what I was talking about man that pissed me off

that whole place pisses me off

the closes thing to a good off road shop around here is the Rlling K line-x the place I had my blazer line-xed Jim the guy that runs it is as nice a guy as I have aver meet and would bend over backwerds to help you plus he drives a K5 Jimmy with 33"s and it is fulley covered in line-x inside and out and coustom made bumpers that Jim made him self he is a great guy and get a lot of bines for it

I need to go out there and tell him about CK5

[​IMG]Go prepared

http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

See what we have out there, lerking in the bushies[​IMG]

Ya know thats why I get most all my info from You all cuz it's real world! And I can do my research and spend my hard earned $$ on the right product and service.

I do feel sorry for the other 2 million + Blazer drivers out there that don't know about us!! They are all allone getting suckerd into stuff like buy blocks instead of spring packs cuz there's no difference[​IMG] YA RIGHT!!![​IMG]
    Avoid that place like a jar of AIDS!!!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

11. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

Hey MudFrog, where's that place? There's one in the richmond area that sounds similiar. I haven't used it but a friend of mine has had too to get a couple of special parts for his jeep. He said they ripped him off everytime, but there was no where else to get it.

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Since you people are on the topic of getting screwed.....no..no 3 letter words here...I hope!!

I purchased a set of tires Bridgestone Dueler ATs(I know about the tree huggers and Bridgestone..If I would have known that I wouldn't have gotten them). The kid..I say kid becasue he was younger than me..got into my DIESEL and didn't wait for the glow plug light or anything. Just sat there and cranked it for 30-40 seconds. about 5 times before he realized he wasn't doing something right. He finally got it started and took it into the garage. I asked him what the problem was and he told me I might have a spark plug wire loose or something. ARGH!!?!? I complained about this at the time and they told me "Its a Chevy and its a Diesel...the starter should hold up to that". I went out to start it to see how it would start in the colder air later in the week...it was plugged in....turned the key..waited for the light...then hit it...5 seconds of cranking and there was smoke pouring out the front end. I popped the hood to see what was going on....I didn't have an extinguisher....lets say my gloves were rather warm from putting out an electrical fire. The company now claims that they have nothing to do with it. They now refuse to work on my vehicle or even look at it. I purchased the "Road Hazard" package and they refuse to honor it in any way shape or form. I asked to have a full refund and be allowed to get my tires elsewhere and they refuse that too. What is my next step here? Fix the starter and the now no existant cables myself and then go after them or should I go after them then have it fixed? And if someone suggests me biting the bullet on it I would like some suggestion on how to stay warm while working on a K5 OUTSIDE with no garage in this Illinois weather. [​IMG]

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Hey BlackWidow,
    The shop is in Roanoke. But remind me to steer clear of the place you are referring to.

SK15. Dude that sucks, I would deffinetely push for them to replace it.

On the off note. A lady I work with took her van to get it inspected. It's a 95 not sure what make. They told her that she had bad struts and ball joints, and they would fix it for $500. Meanwhile they failed the inspection. I told her the name of a shop that I highly recommend to do the work, so she takes it there and gets a call from the mechanic. The mechanic tells her "Mam I just got off the phone with the sherrif's department". What had happened is he went to make the repairs and there was not a single thing wrong with it. They were trying to scam her of $500. Needless to say the sherrif wen't down to talk to the manager. Keep in mind this is a chain of stores. I think the name was "Tire Station", they specialize in Firestone.

Kinda of a pathetic world when stuff like this happens.

89 K5 Silverado

14. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Hey Mudfrog, been awhile. I think your right about the name, I've heard many complaints about them. Have you checked out 4x4 Extreme on Williamson Rd.? I've talked to the guy who runs the place a time or two and he seems to know his stuff. I'm not sure how much work he does on customer's trucks, but there is always a couple of nice rigs parked outside his place (although I've yet to see any with a speck of mud or dirt on them).

15. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

this is kinda off the subject, but my friends 88 toyota landcruiser needs some engine work cause it over heats, and we are gonna tow it to a custom shop bout an hr away in my k5 then he'll drive it back
    but the cool part is this guy is gonna show us all this stuff on how to work on engines and hes gonna give use an old ass beater to work on and were gonna put it on the trailer and take it back. this guy knows alot cause he own a 4x4 store.
    jsut so u know hes giving us the beater free because he is a family friend of the guy i am going with.
    sorry im jsut really excited and thought this could relate... kinda

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

16. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

17. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Also watch out for a place in N.E. OHIO called B&R Wholesale Tire..they even had ads in one of the 4-wheeler mags for a while. These guys have been rumored to grind off the blem markings of tires and then charge full price. I went there once when I sold my swampers to a jeep kid to get dismounts and mounts 'cuz it was 5 degrees out. My tire pressures varied from 10 psi to 48 psi and the lug nut torque went from breaker-bar tight to finger tight...as they screwed my truck up I watched from the waiting room as a guy bent the crap out of a kid's aluminum rim on the regular tire machine....as the rim-clamp machine he SHOULD have been using sat 5 feet away,empty. THEN, they tried to deny that they did anything as me and 6 other guys watched it happen! BTW...I wasted 5-6 years busting tires in my younger days.

"I'm not stuck...I just dropped my beer in my lap"

18. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Howdy Wingnutt,
    Hey It's 4x4 extreme I'm referring to man. You might of had a differen't experience there, but me and all my buddies have got the shaft from him plenty of times. He could care less about what you want and he'll tell you what you want to hear as long as you spend some big $$$$ there.

By the way... Where ya been???

89 K5 Silverado

19. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

dont know yet, probably an old chevy truck

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

20. James90

James90 1/2 ton status