Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You Might Be A Redneck Geek If...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dremu, Nov 4, 2004.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

your computers have Bondo on them /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I'm building a RAID box based on a Mini-ITX motherboard ... basically, it's the size of four CD-ROM drives, but has six 250GB drives, and a whole 1GHz PC built in.

[​IMG]

The Bondo is covering up a hole for a floppy drive. Yes, it'll get sanded and painted... I got impatient and took a pic whilst it dries /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So I think I'll be okay for space for a while... gonna start ripping my DVD's, but my 200GB of MP3's won't make much of a dent in it:

[​IMG]

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

that is impresive

to bad i don't know what it means? what does tb stand for i guess it means a [censored] load of memory

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

it means his computer can kick your computer's ass. even if it is uglier /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. dremu

[ QUOTE ]
    to bad i don't know what it means? what does tb stand for i guess it means a [censored] load of memory

[/ QUOTE ]

TB = terabyte, i.e. 1024 gigabytes.

It's 1,160GB, or 1,187,840MB (give or take /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif)

It sounds crazy, but when a freakin' DVD takes over 4GB *per each disc*, and I wanna be able to record a coupla hundred, that space gets eaten up awful fast.

-- A

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

prolly so, my puter isn't very tough

7. dremu

[ QUOTE ]
    it means his computer can kick your computer's ass. even if it is uglier /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I resemble that!

Well, it'll look better once I paint it (Rustoleum textured black /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif) and AMAZING, put the cover on.

-- A

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Oh damn, that's cool. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

thats gonna be cool. if i had a desktop, i'd rice the hell outta the case /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

can you say racing stripes, LEDs, and a Type-R decal? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

So did you buy a 1.3tb drive or somehow have those 250gig drives appear as one drive?

If you bought (or acquired) a 1 tb drive, does it cost more or less than a house in Silicon Valley?

And seriously, if it's 1 drive, isn't the access time excessive? If not, why not?

11. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

He has 5 drives each on being 250GB. They are combined, probably through software, to look like one large drive. I'm also assuming that he's using a RAID 5 configuration which would be the best compromise of speed, drive space and redundancy. If I'm correct with my assumptions then if one of his drives happens to go bad it can be pulled out and replaced with another drive and the data can be restored on that drive. The problem with software RAID is that it uses up a lot of CPU power. The reason the access time isn't excessive is because it stripes the data across all the drives. i.e. a small piece of data on the first drive, the next small chunck of data on the second drive and so on. That way each drive has time to get to the next spot it needs to be and is transparent to the user.
    I'm using a hardware RAID controller and I've got 250GB hooked up to it now and just about out of space. I need to add more drives pretty soon. All my drives are either 36 or 73GB but I've got enough to add up to 1TB. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

RAID is awesome. Next computer I build I will do a RAID 0 data-striping setup. I had originally thought about going SCSI, but I think RAID 0 will do just as well for what I use it for and be much cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. spearchucker

I would highly recommend RAID 5 instead of R0. You're not losing that much space with R5 and you gain data redundancy. The more drives you have the less space you'd be losing.

14. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'm not looking for redundancy, I'm looking for speed. Will a R5 give the speed increase that a R0 setup will?

15. spearchucker

Depends on if you're doing a read or a write, but there are other factors also. When you do a write with a R5 a calculation needs to be done for the parity so that slows it down a little. It sounds like your going to be using software raid also. Is this for a video server?

16. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What is your processer speed and bus speed?????????????

17. dremu

[ QUOTE ]
    So did you buy a 1.3tb drive or somehow have those 250gig drives appear as one drive?

If you bought (or acquired) a 1 tb drive, does it cost more or less than a house in Silicon Valley?

And seriously, if it's 1 drive, isn't the access time excessive? If not, why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Six 250's, actually. Biggest single drive I've seen is a 400 at the moment.

-- A

18. dremu

[ QUOTE ]
    What is your processer speed and bus speed?????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well, this one is not spectacular there. It's a Mini-ITX board from VIA; this one is a 1GHz Nehemiah.

The reason I'm using it is that the motherboard is TINY -- it's 6 3/4" square and has video, NIC, IDE, *everything* built in. Cheap and crazy low heat / low power, they're great for applications where size is more important than computing horsepower.

Umm, all kinds o' crazy stuff on the fan page.

-- A

19. dremu

[ QUOTE ]
    He has 5 drives each on being 250GB. They are combined, probably through software, to look like one large drive. I'm also assuming that he's using a RAID 5 configuration which would be the best compromise of speed, drive space and redundancy. If I'm correct with my assumptions then if one of his drives happens to go bad it can be pulled out and replaced with another drive and the data can be restored on that drive. The problem with software RAID is that it uses up a lot of CPU power. The reason the access time isn't excessive is because it stripes the data across all the drives. i.e. a small piece of data on the first drive, the next small chunck of data on the second drive and so on. That way each drive has time to get to the next spot it needs to be and is transparent to the user.
    I'm using a hardware RAID controller and I've got 250GB hooked up to it now and just about out of space. I need to add more drives pretty soon. All my drives are either 36 or 73GB but I've got enough to add up to 1TB. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I had hardware RAID before (Adaptec 2400 controllers) but I was limited to four drives per array, plus the cards are big (and not cheap!)

This one I'm doing software RAID, so I can do all six drives on one array ... but I take a MAJOR performance hit on writes. I'm mostly doing reading, though (it's a file server), and I wanted small, and cheap. Remember, the *whole computer* fits inside the drive enclosure, and takes less power (power bill! heat!) than, say, most high performance video cards alone. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

-- A

20. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Definitely Needs the Type R sticker.