Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You Might Be A Redneck Nerd If (#37)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dremu, Dec 17, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Your latest casemod involves the use of ...

the welder

the Sawzall

air tools

:doah::eek1:

Pix forthcoming, but in short, imagine a mini-tower box, with space for 4TB of hard drives (that's 4000GB, give or take a few) including the Windows server on a little baby motherboard.

I need new hobbies, or at least hobbies that don't smell of epoxy :rolleyes:

-- A

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

wow I want to see this! :bow::bow:

3. dremu

Thanks ... it's kinda boring, really ... doesn't photograph well :)

I still gotta put the cover on ... and then eventually I gotta take it all apart (AGAIN :mad: ) and paint it. Can't decide if I wanna do my usual BBQ black -- the texture hides many sins -- or something new.

But... here's the current drive stack; once I pay off my crossover/highsteer I'm gonna upgrade the drives and go SATA for easier cabling. The flat thing with the weld spots is the external USB plugs, in place of the enclosure's old 50-pin SCSI connector. I also had to weld a piece of sheet in behind the motherboard, which is in the upper left side. (That one was ground down and is generally a better weld :D )

The enclosure used to have eight CD-ROM drives, as an explanation. Now it has lots of hard drives AND the cute little VIA Epia motherboard. The Epia's aren't great gaming machines as they're kinda slow, but they're low-noise and low-power (and therefore low-heat), and as a file server I don't need tremendous CPU horsepower. This particular one is a 1GHz, with 1GB RAM. I run Windows 2000 Server on it. It serves MP3's and DVD images -- this latter is why I need the crazy disk space. I have another Epia system that acts as the DVD player in the front room.

The fans on the front of the server are prolly overkill but I had them handy, we'll see how they fare in the long term :D

Regulatory soda can to give scale to the thing.

-- A

terabox2a.jpg

terabox2b.jpg

terabox2c.jpg

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow that is a lot of hard drives.

What is fanta??

5. dremu

Coke product. This one is strawberry, there's also orange. Caffeine does weird things to me, so I'm stuck with boring drinks :D

-- A

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Good lord man! :bow:

Thats a hell of a storage box

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Damn. You do wind tunnel testing??? :haha: Spiffy work man.

8. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

makes my new computer look like chit and wimpy

9. gauder

gauder Banned

Raspberry and grape too!

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

RAID !!!!! :D

11. dremu

Amen, brutha. Though I gotta switch to Server 2003 to support >2TB on a single partition...

-- A

12. dremu

Thanks ... and yeah, those big fans up front were overkill. I thought the damn thing was gonna take off like an Osprey or a Harrier.

:Shakes head: ... 'sokay, I had the acrylic scrap laying around. I think tomorrow I'll go get a nice NEW piece to make the front out of, and then put some realistic sized fans on it.

-- A

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

RUNNNN!!! AND RUNN FAST!!! those things scare me big time. i was asked if i wanted to ride in an osprey.. i laughed, then saw they were serious... then laughed ahrder and went to have a smoke....

if i was being shot at and had to get in one of them id take my chances on the ground....

back on topic, how does this work? how does Raid work? i know they both control the drives in a way that they can be used as one drive, but from what i see you are running one computer as ahard drive.... i this right?

i need more storage space for mu music, but i think a 60 gig external drive will do dandy...
    Grant

14. dremu

Chuckle. Yeah, my fan idea worked as well as the Osprey, too.

On topic, RAID is a method, via software or hardware, where a bunch of disks look like one.

In my old machine, six 250GB drives are strung together with software to look like one ~1250GB drive. (This is so-called RAID5, which offers some redunancy, i.e. one drive can fail without losing data.)

In the new one, it'll be some 500GB's strung together on a special hardware controller -- mmm, much faster -- to make a coupla TB. I'll max out at eight drives for 3.5TB, I do believe.

For normal needs, I think just one big drive is okay. You don't have the redunancy, but if you don't run the drives real hard they don't fail so often. I come from a professional IT world where hardware failures happen, so I'm a bit paranoid. And with 500GB drives available, the 200-300-400's are getting cheap.

That and re-recording my collection of >2000 music CD's and five or six hundred DVD's would be time consuming. While I do own the real original discs for all of them ... it would suck having to do it again :eek1:

This machine has the computer onboard, yes, acting as a file-server ... they call it "NAS", I suppose, network attached storage. I have one desktop I use for most stuff, the little DVD player computer in my stereo out front, plus various dedicated "server" machines for network stuff.

Oh, and a laptop hooked up to an old stereo in the garage for music :D

-- A