Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You notice your rig is loud when...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by POWERMAD, Oct 31, 2002.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Going to work today I was cookin along at 3500rpm(about 70) and a school bus was comin up fast so I step into the left lane and take it to 4K to pass.
    I get about 30 yds from the bus and notice that the kids are turning around and lookin at me . LOL
    I don't recomend 5 sided mufflers for everyone though.

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Gotta love it, I was cruising thru a neighborhood the other day just going along about 10-15 mph in my 2WD truck and was setting off the alarms in the cars that were anywhere near the road /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Everybody that was outside was looking at me.

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

And ya know for all the stupid times I have been pulled over the cop has never said anything about the exhaust.
    I used to wear ear plugs, now I am used to it LOL

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

HAHA that was like my old truck, an 88 chevy stepside 2wd, duals with dynomax turbos, and a cammed up 305(yeah dont bother telling me, i was younger and stupider /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and the lope was great, and i revved it up for my buddies in the school parking lot, set 3 car alarms off!, i just had to go faster than the sound and it wouldnt bother me too much /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

whats really fun is going through a long tunnel then kick it down in 2nd or something and watch the tourists in the nice Caddy in front of you darn near break their necks to see what all the noise is /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Ya, the other day I passed a newer suv of some type going about 45 and the driver was using her free hand to plug her left ear. So I did the only polite thing, kicked it down to 2nd and floored it.

Left the store day at about 15 mph and set a car alarm off that was parked across the street.

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Hehe.. I set off car alarms with my 42's.

8. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

You gotta quit bumping those cars with your tires! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

We ripped off my buddy's pipes and mufflers to get it ready for the exhaust shop (save some cost). of course we had to run it around the block for a sound test with open headers.... at 1AM when we finished that and some other nightly k5 project. Lights were coming on and people looking out the windows. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I'm sure they've got to be used to it by now... every weekend we're out there with hammers, grinders, etc. and with only the thin sheet metal garage door down to pretend we care

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Before i got my dualy, i was about 50 miles from home and the exhaust fell of at the crossover(reason for duals) and the sound was the best, i was diving home at 85 or 90 miles an hour just to hear the exhaust, and whenever i cam up to a camaro or any fast car, id past it just so they could hear the rumble, i felt great driving like that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i used to have strait pipes and everywhere i went alarms went off all the time.now that i live in pa i had to put mufflers on.now i still get stared at but its because of the truck itself not the noise it created. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yep i ran a side pipe out from my cat, sounds great, and it isnt TOOO loud.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah my pipes sit about ear level to the cars I pass......and for some reason they always plug their ears and roll up the windows. It could possibly be the true duals with no cats or mufflers. And that also could be the reason I got 18 noise complaints the first night I had my truck up at school. Let's see, Appalachian State is in the heart of the mountains, an uphill street, dorms on either side of the road, and all these DANG HEEPS with their little sixes trying to rumble the sh!t out of an ant.

14. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

Seems like a good trait of Chevy's.
    I had a 2wd 305 (stock) with a turbo muffle that set off car alarms.
    Now I have a 4wd 350 with true duals and turbo mufflers. Still doesn't sound the same as my bruddies straights with glasspacks or his brothers with just the punched out cats on it.

Mikey

15. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I finished off the exhaust at Browns Camp in april.
    We had to untangle the right side from the axle.
    It got ripped off right behind the header, had to listen to it all day and all the way home.
    Aaron gave me a comlete system along time ago I just need to get it put on. one of these days.
    3500 is the sweet spot, I can hear the radio then.