Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

you salt/rust belt guys

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyjeff, Feb 4, 2004.

1. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

I dont know how you guys do it. I am rebuilding a 8 lug 10 bolt that I got from a northern truck that made it way to texas. It has little rust compared to some I have seen. The thing is that I break one out of every 4 bolts that I try to take off. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif List of casualties so far is one broken steering arm stud flush with knuckle (guess I will drill that one out) /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif The driver side spindle is rusted to the knuckle (pb blaster soaking at the moment) The cup shaped thing on the backing plate disentegrated on contact.
    The pass side tie rod end inner is froze to the knuckle. I am not even going to try and get the hubs off the rotors.
    Just DAMN /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif To bad I cant soak the whole diff in a tub of pb blaster.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Yep, sucks doesn't it! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

PB Blaster, WD40, antiseize, heat and BFH's are your friends! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I second that! At least you already know about PB... I worked on stuff for a couple of years before I got into the trucks and hit this site and found out about the blaster. That stuff works great...

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you havent seen anything yet, move up here and youll see some real rust

5. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

What the average life for a k5/sub up north 5 years? Guess I am spoiled my 57 chevy 2 door hardtop still has the original floor pans, rockers and tail pan which has been here in dallas its whole life.

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

I have a 1990 z71 that still has clean floor pans, but the cab corners are just starting to go. I believe that it only lasted this long because the two previous owners took very very good care of it, and when I got it I was 16 and tore it up more than they did. As far as blazers/subs go.... I'm not too sure exactly but they'll go quick if left unchecked. It takes a whole lot of washing and cleaning to keep them looking good up here... ones that still are clean go for $$$$ too...

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah you southern/western guys are spoiled bastards. You always complain about your engines and all your other petty problems and I hear of people junking vehicles for lame reasons like blown motors, bad wiring, etc. You just don't know how good you got it until your girlfriend (barely over 100lbs. mind you) gets in the back of your K5, steps on your wheel well, and goes right through. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Any project up hear requires torches /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Thats true... you can use torches and be done with it easy... or you can be sans-torches like I am and bust your hands all to $hit, break bolts, cuss and swear...

man... I needs me a set of torches.

10. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Another kick-a$$ penetrating oil is called Kroil. That stuff works better than Blaster, I swear. I know all about rust here too. I am constantly breaking sh!t off even after heat and Kroil. My 10-bolt spindles were frozen to the knuckles and I had to beat them off with a chunk of 4x4" post. Now I'm dealing with a locking hub that is corroded to the wheel hub. Arggghhh!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

At least I am getting to break in the new neighbors that moved in next door. All they heard till 10:30 last night was smack, smack "you piece of sh*t mother f'r" /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Bang bang bang "damit" GRINDDDDDDDDDD. "Damit to hell" Bam Bam "AHHH my g damn figer" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Dude, you about made me piss myself /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    At least I am getting to break in the new neighbors that moved in next door. All they heard till 10:30 last night was smack, smack "you piece of sh*t mother f'r" /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Bang bang bang "damit" GRINDDDDDDDDDD. "Damit to hell" Bam Bam "AHHH my g damn figer" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Another excellant choice is a product called "Free-All" . This stuff is incrediable . You can find it at industrial refrigerator supply houses . Don't breath the fumes and be in a ventilated area but it works !
    Good luck, Tom

15. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont know how you guys do it. I am rebuilding a 8 lug 10 bolt that I got from a northern truck that made it way to texas. It has little rust compared to some I have seen. The thing is that I break one out of every 4 bolts that I try to take off. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif List of casualties so far is one broken steering arm stud flush with knuckle (guess I will drill that one out) /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif The driver side spindle is rusted to the knuckle (pb blaster soaking at the moment) The cup shaped thing on the backing plate disentegrated on contact.
    The pass side tie rod end inner is froze to the knuckle. I am not even going to try and get the hubs off the rotors.
    Just DAMN /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif To bad I cant soak the whole diff in a tub of pb blaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so used to working on rusty stuff...
    it doesn't even bother me anymore.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Now i am happy ,i am in good company! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

17. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Yup, working on rusted trucks suck. Unfortunately shops know that too, i'm having a really hard time finding a shop to re-build my subframe / body mounts. They all say "ummmm, na we don't want to do that, sorry dude." /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Any project up hear requires torches

[/ QUOTE ]

hell yea..dunno what i would do with out our torch!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

19. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

I feel better now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif except for my finger and fore arm. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif knowing that my little rusty hell project probably is not half as bad as what you rusty guys are used to dealing with. Oh well, more beer, more cussing and more broken parts await me tonight.

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is funny stuff /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif