Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You think your life sucks?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84k5, Sep 5, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

On the way to work today I saw a homeless guy filling his water bottle out of the gutter on the side of the street. I stopped and gave him my water bottle out of my lunch. You would not believe how grateful the guy was for this 99 cent bottle of water.

We all get caught up in our lives, sometimes we forget how good we really do have things.

2. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

So very true. Thank you for the reminder. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that was a damn decent thing of you to do nice job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

You Rule!
    Thanks for the wake up call.
    Gorrilla
    Some times all we have to do is /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On the way to work today I saw a homeless guy filling his water bottle out of the gutter on the side of the street. I stopped and gave him my water bottle out of my lunch. You would not believe how grateful the guy was for this 99 cent bottle of water.

We all get caught up in our lives, sometimes we forget how good we really do have things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger That.

I personally have a lot going on in my life right now, as most people do, and I struggle to stay positive. The one thing that is constantly positive for me is my Son, now 3 years old. No matter what happens, no matter how much pain I'm in, no matter how bad things get, he can always make me smile. No matter what goes wrong, every single day I thank my lucky stars that my son is Healthy and Happy.

But more specifically to this post, it made me recall a short ditty from my diary from several years ago. It even involved a K5, and back then I neither owned a K5 or knew of CK5. (I have slacked off recently, but I try to keep a diary so that hopefully some day my Son can enjoy reading about his own upbringing, and maybe it will help him understand me a little better too, who knows...) Anyways, here it is:

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

ER Visit: A Wake-Up Call 16-December-2000

It's been a while since Angie and I have been to the local Emergency Room... Almost a month, if I remember correctly... Anyway, Ol' Doc Rodgers has been progressively improving my health, and has taken care of all but this awful, raspy cough that keeps me hacking up a lung occasionally. Friday night and Saturday morning, I developed a higher fever and a rash on my forehead, and Angie decided that I absolutely had to go to the hospital or I may perish. Doc Rodgers isn't available on Saturday evenings (for Heaven's sakes the man needs to rest some time, right?) so Angie felt the ER was our only course of action. I didn't see the urgency, but if the situation were reversed and I were concerned about her health and she wasn't listening to me, I would have been upset, so I listened and loaded up in the Truckster for a visit to the UofM ER. Should be fun, right?

Well, for me it was quite a bit of fun. We brought Cottage Inn Pizza with us and shared it with the ER staff, and I eventually even charmed a smile out of our Nurse who swore she was incapable of smiling. (Angie said that I was not charming at all and that I had irritated the nurse until she smiled out of sheer want for me to give up, but I know better...) The Doc X-rayed me, took some blood, and sent me home with some meds to help with the upper respiratory infection that I seem to be trying to fight off. My instructions are to follow up with Doc Rodgers ASAP.

But my portion of the visit isn't really what I wanted to write about. The ER was packed, as it usually is, and I was in a room that was separated down the middle by a track-curtain. I was a little loopy from headache meds, and Angie was trying to keep me from playing with all of the high-tech gizmos that you see in the background of the above picture when they brought in my roommate... Again, I was a little loopy, so I'll apologize if I don't remember his name correctly, but I am pretty sure that his name was Dave.

Scott, lying on the bed, raised voice, talking to his new roommate across the room, "So, what'dya in for?"

Dave, a little caught off-guard, "Me?, well, I'm a quadriplegic, and I'm in here all the time. Tonight I'm in here because I'm having some problems with my colon."

Scott, now a little less the comedian, but still sincere and looking for conversation different than "Don't touch that!", "Bummer, Man... Are they getting you fixed up?"

Dave, "Don't know yet... They're doing some tests and they're going to let me know."

Before we left, I overheard the Doc tell Dave that they were going to admit him for a few days. It didn't sound like anything too serious but they needed to observe him for a while.

Dave had a friend with him whose name I can't recall at this point. Dave, his friend, Angie, Ezra, and I all had about an hour together to chat while we got various pokes, conversations, and tests from the staff at the ER. From what I could tell in the short time I had to get to know Dave he was a very upbeat person and a lot of fun to talk to. He lost the use of his arms and legs in a vehicle accident. He had an early '90's full-size Blazer (he promised to email me pictures for the Rigdon Home Reader's Rides Page!!!) that was lifted and decked out... Unfortunately, he fell asleep at the wheel and wrecked it, resulting in his current condition.

Before we left the house for the ER last night, I really didn't think it was necessary, but still my little voice kept telling me to go. (No, not Angie's voice. Her's isn't little by any means...) Looking back, I think that Fate wanted me to go to the ER to meet Dave rather than to get treated for a respiratory infection. You see, sometimes we all need a reality check to let us know that no matter what our problems are, someone else has it a lot worse. My respiratory infection will eventually go away, no matter how long it lingers, but Dave's condition is undoubtedly permanent. If Dave can keep a positive outlook on life, then I certainly have nothing to complain about.

So, I want to take this opportunity to apologize for any whining and complaining that I've done in the past month about my physical ailments. I thank my lucky stars for my health and my Family.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Even though that homeless guy was really down and out, somewhere there is a quadraplegic that would trade him places in a heartbeat just to be able to walk one more time.

So I agree, no matter how bad it is, someone has it worse. I commend you for helping the guy... In the past few months many people have helped myself and my family, people who had no obligation to do so whatsoever. I find myself trying to think of ways to help others out even though times are tough for us... There is always something you can do, even if it's as simple as giving a guy a bottle of water. Too many people just drive on by and try to forget it.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sal

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Were you in Davis? Last time I saw a homeless guy there he was being told by the cops he was not welcome there and needed to move on. I was like wtf, move on? To where? Not like he exactly had a home to go too. Really pissed me off that they were spending over 20 minutes to bug this guy, running his name, and basically acting like they were doing us all a favor by asking him to leave, instead of helping him. How hard would it have been to offer him a ride to the shelter, or give him some info on places he could go for help.... I'm sure we just pissed them off beyond all things by giving him the Jamba Juice gift card we had some money left on... ah yes, our tax dollars at work...

Way too go man on the good deed. Sometimes small stuff to us is huge to someone else. Especially when the other person is in a situation like this guy was in...

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

ChevyCaGal, obviously you've never spent any length of time with the homeless. The homeless population is no different than the regular population. We've all run into people at our various jobs who are lazy, scammers, or ungrateful. We also all know people who, despite their best efforts and hard work, get screwed over regularly. The homeless are no different. I've dealt with them for years and it has been my experience that most of them who want to change, to better themselves, or get out of their current situation, eventually manage to do so. There are many resources for most of the homeless to turn to in order to improve their situation. On the other hand, there are just as many, if not more, that choose to be in the situation they are in. They have drug and alcohol issues or are just plain lazy or don't want to comply with laws and rules so they make the conscious decision to be homeless. And, many of these are the ones that tug your heart strings by panhandling.

I've worked with homeless advocates, community based and religious based organizations as well as county and city agencies who go out and seek out homeless people to offer them services. Usually these services consist of free food, clothing, shelter, and even employment. I will tell you that a good portion of the homeless tell us to go and pound salt. They don't want the constriction of having to be in the shelter by 5:00 pm and out in the morning by 9:00 am. They don't want to be sober, hold a job, or abide by the rules the rest of us comply with. So, they sit out on a street corner with a sign and look pitiful. Then some good natured person comes along and kicks them down some cash. Guess where it goes? A bottle of wine, beer, or some blunt. Don't believe me? Try going on a ride along with those very officers and see what they see on a daily basis. Homeless families, single moms, and others who want services get them in droves in most major cities. Sensational media reports to the contrary, most of our citizenry is incredibly giving and those that truly want it, and deserve it, get it. But, there is a sucker born every minute and I watch a segment of these "homeless" folks take advantage of most people's generosity and good will on a daily basis. The guy that 84k5 gave the water to may have truly been grateful. Usually when you offer food, shelter, or clothing, and it's accepted with gratitude, the recipient is honestly trying to get ahead. When you offer anything but money, and get an attitude, that should be a warning sign that the person isn't really as indigent as they seem and probably want the money to support a habit.

Oh, and the officers would've been downright negligent if they hadn't run the person for wants. It isn't coincidence that officers routinely find people in homeless camps with warrants for theft, assault, burglary, robbery, drug sales, etc. Maybe instead of giving the guy in Davis money, you could have taken him home with you and given him a room to live in?

8. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Steph that would take too much time out of their lives and complaining to tell this guy where he can go for help. You would think they would know this sort of thing and could at least give them a number and 35 cents. How [I love Jeeps] difficult is that? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Just because some people who are homeless are criminals doesn't mean you treat them all like [I love Jeeps]. That makes no sense. You know people WITH homes are criminals as well I guess that means we should all be treated like crap and turned down when we need something. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Putting them all into one group or title is sickening to me. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    ChevyCaGal, obviously you've never spent any length of time with the homeless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I volunteer at the Union Gospel Mission once a week. I also work with homeless families in the program I work for at work.

BTW, I was refering to the guy I saw in Davis and his particular situation, not every other homeless person I have encountered. I realize that there are different measures taken for different situations. This guy however, was doing nothing but sitting on a bench reading an old book. He wasn't hurting anything. The issue was he was too near where some businesses are, and it wasn't looking good, and so he was being asked to move.

We could plainly hear what the officers were saying, because they were talking really loud, and keep looking at where we were (myself, my friends and some other people) sitting for some reason? I have no idea. It was weird, like they were thinking we could hear, so they wanted to sound good for us? They were saying things like we got some complaints while you were sitting here you were causing trouble and being disruptive. From the time he walked up and sat down, never heard him speak once. We were sitting outside eating at some tables waiting for another friend who was late. Maybe 25 feet from us. Fine if he was causing trouble before hand, deal with him. Deal with that, but don't lie about his actions since he walked up right there and sat down, which were false.

Davis is a very nice town, but IMO it's not user friendly if you don't fit into a certain mold that is expected there (I don't know if you have been there, but if you have you know what I mean, it's like it's in it's own little planet). This guy didn't fit, so he was being asked to leave. The cops had no reason to talk to him based on what we saw. And again if he was being disruptive, fine, deal with him. But don't make up stuff about him currently being disruptive when he wasn't being. That was just wrong. But since when is reading a book on a bench a crime?

And hey, if you are mocking me for simply giving the guy $20 bucks on a Jamba Juice card and not taking him home then fine, whatever... I can't help everyone, or everything in life. But I do what I can, small or not. Just like someone handing out a water bottle, might be considered small. That is unless you are that guy. Sure that made his day someone took the time to think of him like that...

10. Desert Rat

[ QUOTE ]
    Just because some people who are homeless are criminals doesn't mean you treat them all like [I love Jeeps]. That makes no sense. You know people WITH homes are criminals as well I guess that means we should all be treated like crap and turned down when we need something. Putting them all into one group or title is sickening to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChevyHuny, I couldn't agree more. I guess you weren't responding to my post since I prefaced many of my remarks with "some", "many", "portion", "The homeless population is no different than the regular population" and other terms indicating that not every homeless person is a crook, and many seek help, find it, and change their lives.

[ QUOTE ]
    Steph that would take too much time out of their lives and complaining to tell this guy where he can go for help. You would think they would know this sort of thing and could at least give them a number and 35 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    This guy however, was doing nothing but sitting on a bench reading an old book. He wasn't hurting anything. The issue was he was too near where some businesses are, and it wasn't looking good, and so he was being asked to move.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    They were saying things like we got some complaints while you were sitting here you were causing trouble and being disruptive.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    The cops had no reason to talk to him based on what we saw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking for myself, I tend to lend some credence to police officers and their actions as most of the time I really don't know the background surrounding the decisions they might make. In this situation, I'm not so sure you folks were holding all the cards and able to make a qualified decision as to whether or not the cops actions were justified. I can't count how many times I've been in a situation that was monday morning quarterbacked to death later only to have the person complaining find out that everything I did had a good reason and was well justified. Perhaps this guy was a longstanding headache for the community and had been warned repeatedly not to return to that area? Perhaps his behavior prior to your watching summoned the police? Perhaps he has a history of violence, panhandling, public nuisances, etc. that you aren't aware of? Perhaps he is a sexual registrant, or a narcotic registrant that has conditions on their behavior? Perhaps he is on parole or probation and there are conditions on where he goes, who he hangs around, and what he does?

I also know that most police agencies have many resources they can provide to the homeless if the person so desires it. I've only been to Davis once, and that was to drop in on a friend at UC Davis (talk about a weird campus environment). But, I'd bet the officers actions were in line with the expectations of their community. My opinion on that is, I really have no right to dictate what a community requests of their police officers since it isn't my tax dollars paying their salary. If I don't like the way a community treats its citizenry, then I won't choose to live there. But, I will give most every officer the benefit of the doubt.

Chevycagal, I wasn't mocking you. I was teasing you a little, but it was designed to get you to think twice before handing out your hard earned money to someone you aren't sure is going to put it to good use. I would think it would bother you if you found out the guy went and put the money towards getting drunk, urinating in front of some traveling family, and then passing out in the doorway of a local business. Farfetched? I see it literally every day. I think the Jamba card and the bottle of water were a great idea and commendably compassionate.

11. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    I was teasing you a little, but it was designed to get you to think twice before handing out your hard earned money to someone you aren't sure is going to put it to good use.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a Jamba Juice card, not like he was gonna be able to use for anything else...

12. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hats off to you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Funny how a good deed makes the person helping feel better than the person being helped. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good job, man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Desert Rat

I misread your post a little. I thought you gave him the card, and some cash. Good for you, Jamba juice can fill you up in no time.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Steph, what DesertRat said is on the head. Of the homeless I've dealt with; one is a drunk who holds the county record for most public intox arrests. He's been around for 20 years, all the cops know him and have had to deal with him at one time or another. He's happy when he gets a ride out to jail so he has someplace to stay for the night, but he has been banned from the shelters here in town.

Another was the same way when getting arrested. He also has a criminal record that would make most gangbangers worship him.

Yes, there are homeless out there that are trying to change what they have; but for the most part most of them are just bums who have no desire for anything more than dumpster diving and taking up a cot at county.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

And to defend the cops in your post. Most places these days, the community is trying to bring in business and make the place nice for the families and the homeless detract from these goals, so it's up to the cops to deal with it and most of the time, they have already dealt with the person on numerous occasions.

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Talking to yourself is the first step in a downward spiral to the street Bubba.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Talking to yourself is the first step in a downward spiral to the street Bubba.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You know it's bad when you even ignore yourself............................... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Don't listen to fumes, Bubba ,he's a fawkin a$$hole....Thats what I heard anyhow, I never actually met the guy or anything.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

19. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Ummm........... riiiiiiiight..............................................

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

20. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I think what you did was a nice thing. There is nothing wrong with giving a homeless guy some food/drink (non-alchoholic.)

I used to work for a window company before I was "The Man" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif and our shop was very close to the railroad tracks, which transients tend to frequent.

The shop foreman would send us out every couple of weeks for the "Bum Draft" AKA "The Running of The Bums"(as we called it) to recruit homeless guys to unload the semi-truck. Each transient would receive a $30.00 gift certificate for WalMart...............for about 1 1/2 hours worth of work.

In my line of work now, I run into alot of "Bums", yes, I said Bums. These people have no desire to work/earn anything. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I have no sympathy for these people. They are parasites on society. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I also run into alot of people who are down on their luck and having a very hard time surviving. I have empathy for these people. I try to help these people out in any way I can whether it is a cigarette, a ride to the shelter, my lunch, some gas money, etc..........

There is nothing wrong with helping someone out if YOU are comfortable in doing so. Use your own discretion................