Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You think your project is going badly...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rad Tad, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Rad Tad

Rad Tad Registered Member

I know this will sound like whining, but I need to vent...

I am in the Illinois Air National Guard :usaflag: and was deployed this time last year to the middle east last year for 90+ days. The day I was shipped out, my dad had to leave before my plane left so he took my '95 K-1500 Z-71. He called my mom about 2 hours later and said it was on the side of the road. Turns out the rear end went out. No biggie, it was for sale at the time (no 3rd door, high miles, needed a front end rebuild) so I let it go.

Upon my return to the 'states, I began searching for another K-5 (had one after high school, brother accidentaly totaled it). I had all of that deployment money buring a hole in my pocket! Found a '90 in Des Moines, IA w/ 85k on it. Cool, a low mile Blazer! Drove up there with my dad, and drove it home. I then ordered a 4" Pro-Comp kit to clear 33" tires.

Shortly after puting the lift on, the rocker panels began falling off the truck. Oh-well. I took my new sawzall and just cut as much of the rot off as I could. Another no-biggie. It's just a muddin' college truck, it dosen't have to look pretty.

My brother (who was driving my first K-5 when it ate the telephone pole) had during this time bought a 87 Blazer, and installed the same lift. So of course we had to go down the half-flooded river roads down home. I parked at the parents house and rode with him to hang out for a while. When I returned later that night and tried to leave, the trans decided to quit.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131429

It turned out to needing a rebuild. Again, it wasn't that bad. I had saved up some $$ and it's ok if some stuff breaks. It's an old truck, right?

So this summer the engine developed what I thought was a loose rocker arm. I turned out to be a spark knock, and #6 and 8 now had only 50 psi. Now this is starting to suck. Again I had a little bit of cash saved up (there seems to be a pattern here), so I bought a rebuilt engine with a step-up cam :D It took me a little less than 2 weeks of wrenching after work and waitng for help to get it in. It runs like a champ, better than anything I have ever owned.

I have drove it for a little over 550 miles since the engine swap. Today it decides to develop a "heavy tick" towards the rear end, only under load/acceleration. I'm thinking somthing in the rear axle is going out, but I have zero experence in that area. There are only a few words to describe my frustration at this point, and none of them will make the moderators happy.

I'm hoping to hear of someone else having a bad time with there truck, but I think a major fire is the only way it can get much worse. This truck is my daily driver, and it is too cold to ride the 'cycle. Plus I'm supposed to be at my parents (a 2 1/2 hour drive away) for the opening of deer season this weekend. Fear for any animal that walks in front of my shotgun - if I make it there....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2005
  2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Better knock on wood, that happened to one of the members here.

3. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

www.car-parts.com should search all local junkyards to you and find you whatever rear end you need. wish i would have known sooner, i just sold a 3.73 posi 10 bolt rear end 2 weeks ago for $75

4. Rad Tad

I looked a little bit ago and my RPO code sticker is gone :( So I have no idea what my gearing is. I'd like to find a drop in replacement because a rebuild is out of the question (price range).
    Thanks for the link, though.

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Still easy to calculate your gearing. Jack the rear axle up, disconnect driveshaft. Count how many times you turn the pinion versus how many times the wheels turn.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd just pull the cover. Firstly you'll get to see what's up, secondly the ratio is stamped on the edge of the ring gear.

Rene

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

You and your so-called "logic"

:whistle:

8. sebban

sebban Registered Member

I know exactly what you are feeling.. The same thing happened to me. I´ve replaced or repaired almost everything on my truck. The only thing that I didn´t touch engine and tranny.. yet.
    I´m saving up money to get a tranny rebuild since it´s really toasted now.
    If you are lucky it´s just a U-joint that´s worn out.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

10. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Ya I feel your pain. I bought mine and it looked good and seemed like it was in good shape... then it all started. First what i thought was just something hitting the frame truned out to be a fried motor, I totally screwed the crank so it got the engine rebuilt. Didn't have cash so had to borrow money from the parents (being in college is a very poor expirience). So now cool new motor, well then my new motor toasted my 300 K 700r. Once again its rebuild time. Somewhere in there I also managed to break some stuff in my transfercase, and have numerous hub related issues causing no 4x4 in a really bad snow storm. And my recent addition, someone decided that they needed my deck, sub, and amp more than I did. Got to fix a smashed vent window and now I get the pleasure of a music less ride and seeing my busted up dash everytime I get into my truck.

Sometimes I wish it would burn, but that would just cost me more money cause I now have so much into it and would never get even a fraction back.

Thats the way she goes I guess...

oh ya I did have plans for it. I was gonna lift it and put 35's on it but everytime I get close to saving some money up for something that I want to put on it. Something I need breaks.

11. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Yeah I feel your pain. I bought my first car at 15 with inheritence money, 1988 Porsche 944S with 125k original miles and 1 owner and all records. The car was in exceptional condition. I drove it through highschool working to drive the car to work basically, as insurance ran me 300/month. Up until college I had followed the maintenance schedule religiously and the car was great. When I went to college, I fell behind on regular scheduled maintenance (big no-no with Porsches) as I was not driving the car. It rewarded me with a broken timing belt (bad situation on 944 interference motors). The valves bent and I was stuck with 3k in parts for the repairs. After 16 new valves, 2 new camshafts, and other related parts the car was back to running great (basic head rebuild). At 218k miles I fell asleep at the wheel coming home from campus during exams. I coasted through an intersection, over a curb, between two huge poles, and into a brick wall. The car was totalled. I was devastated as I literally bled to pay for that car. Just my luck, I had removed all insurance but liability as in college I only drove to and from campus and couldn't really afford full-coverage...

BUT! Now after a total-loss on the Porsche, I found my affordable and hopefully very reliable '91 K5 Blazer to tide me over for my last 25 hours as an Electrical Engineering student. After the repairs I did for the 944, everything on this truck is cheap! I love it! The best 1500.00 I've ever spent! I'm not too sure I'll ever turn it into a rock crawler as the truck is in pretty nice shape. It will most likely serve as a parts-toting rig for my next Porsche money-pit when I graduate and have a real job. For now, I am very happy with K5s!

12. Rad Tad

Update

I just pulled my differential cover, and found 3 gear teeth in the bottom of the pumpkin. Great. :mad: I have no idea what to do now. I don't know anything about rear ends, but I do have some mechanical experience. Is it a good idea to try to rebuild it or just try to find a junkyard special?

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

much easier and usually cheaper to just replace the whole diff,,,alot of people on here are going to say,,"THROW A 14BFF UNDER IT !!!"

just do what you can with the funds on hand.

14. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

yeah, find a 10b from a truck your body style out at the yard...spin everything to make sure bearings are rusted/siezed, etc, pull the cover and make sure it looks good and just buy it and swap it out...cheapest/easiest way to do it till you can get what you want under there (such as the 14bff)

15. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

so between your problem with your rear end and that blazer that burned up... why dont you guys just combine your vehicles to make one badass one

16. absolute

absolute Registered Member

i just rebuilt a 10 bolt in a 86 K10 about 3 weeks ago for about $70 for a local pick and pull. I found everything I needed and picked it up and threw it in a box and had it swapped in under a hour with a buddy helping to pull out shafts.

17. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

bad luck

i feel your pain i bought a 86 k5 last july that needed a transmission, and now i am starting to see the end of the road. i have replaced everything except the roof, and firewall. my cheap beater truck now has has almost $7000.00 wrapped up in it and it hasn't been out of the yard yet. :(

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

hmm... lets see.. 5 years and it still doesnt drive... let alone i cant work on it for a while....
    yeah, i need a lot of parts still... some day.
    Grant