Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You wouldn't believe how easy it is!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

You wouldn\'t believe how easy it is!!

FYI

Haven't seen it discussed much here but pulled my windshield out last night. All you do is pullout the rubber locking strip , then push the windshield out of the gasket!!! Too easy![​IMG]

Here I was thinking about going to an auto glass shop to have the windshield removed & we had it out in less than 60 seconds!!

The other thing I've seen discussed here with no definite answer is the weight of the body. Myself & my brother; with the help of a couple floor jacks lifted the body off the frame so while it is heavy, it's not as bad as I've always heard!

Just a little FYI for newbies & veterans alike![​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Re: You wouldn\'t believe how easy it is!!

Let us know if it leaks!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

What are you up to Brian?

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

4. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Brian, getting ready to do the frame? Do you see the ground yet or still have 10' of snow? Ours is all gone. Sorry.......

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Hi Steve & Joe

Well, I'm still plugging away at "Project Snowbound" [​IMG][​IMG]

Got the body off last night & man I'm glad I'm building a new frame!! The old one is battered, bent, and rusted to Sh*t!! On top of that, the tranny has some cracks in the housing and a couple of the tranny to engine mounting bolt ears are broken off! I'd love to know what the previous owner di to the poor rig!

Sad news is that since the tranny is a write-off, I'll may have to divert my TBI 383 funds to a new tranny & settle for a rebuild/clean-up of the 350. [​IMG] The bright side is that now I can look at either a JET T-700 or maybe even going to a JET TH400!![​IMG][​IMG]!!!!
    Anyway, I'll be building a vehicle rotisserie (sp?) to sharpen my welding skills so I can start in on welding in an entire new floor after tackling the new frame & integrated rollcage!! [​IMG]

Later
    Brian
    89KBlazer

6. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

How did your truck get in such bad shape? Have you thought of going with the SM465/NP205 combo instead of an auto?

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

yeah winshield and topper windows pop out really easy. only takes 2 screw drivers to pry it out, then its out!!!
    i thought it owuld be hard also, but it wasnt

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

8. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

What was it like to put the seal back on. How did you do it. I was thinking of replacing mine, it is cracked. Thanks LittleJimmy

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do yourself a favor and POR 15 around the windshield gasket surfaces before reinstalling the windshield, which sounds like it will be awhile. POR15 on the underside and frame wouldn't be a bad idea either!

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

10. DaveDave

DaveDave 1/2 ton status

about 1200 lb no top

11. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)

THere is nothing too special about the JET trannies. If you want to save some cash. Go find a 700r (or whatever you want) core and bring it to a good tranny shop. For less than half of what JET wants you can have something just as good. Ask around(the hot rod guys always know who has a good shop) I had a T400 gone through for less than $400. I could pick up tranny cores for under $100. Thats alot cheaper than JET prices
    For installing glass go to the autobody store and get the plastic "sticks" for installing glass. They are alot more forgiving than metal screwdrivers and the like. For sealant I use some stuff by 3M for windshields...its called something weld. It comes in a screw top can like permatex and requires a special gun to use it (about $40 for gun and sealant) But if you do a few windshields it pays for itself. The caulk gun sealants are cheap but messy and IMO harder to work with. I dont like using urethane because it bonds everythign together so good there is no way youare going to get the glass out without either cutting the seal or breaking the glass.
    Dont forget to lube the rubber up with soapy water so everythign slides in nice and easy

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

12. Brian 89KBlazer

Luke

You nailed the key issue for me here! I don't want to spend the money on a JET or B&M tranny any more than anyone else does BUT if there's one hard lesson I've learned; it's not to cheap out up front only to get burned spending twice as much in the end. I know it's a topic of very hot debate [​IMG] on this board but I'm one of the ones who feels the 700R4 is a good tranny.
    In fact, I had this very arguement with a mechanic friend in my garage last night. The minute he heard "overdrive " transmission, his reply ..."yeah, they're junk!" I looked at my 350 in front of it and asked him that if I started sloppily rebuilding 350 V-8's & selling them & the minute anyone runs them , they break, does that make the venerable 350 junk or does that mean I'm not rebuilding them properly??

From all I've seen & read, the majority of problems with the 700-R4 seem to be based around improper rebuilding & that's why I'm not keen on getting a local rebuild done. True, lots of guys know how to do a "good" stock transmission rebuild but how many are like Bowtie Overdrives that specialize in the OD tranny & know all the key little problems & fixes? Around here - I'm very skeptical!! There's one guy who builds for the drag strip crowd but again, the minute details of the 700 rebuild that seem to make or break it are probably not known

I've considered a local rebuild of a TH400 but the high first gear & no OD just doen't appeal to me; especially since I'll only have a 350, not a 383 or 454.

Sorry for the long-winded reply but that's why I'm seriously looking at JET

Brian
    89KBlazer